• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

compare and contrast - calling the experts

golden

i was hoping to understand better dr.myhills protocol and the methylation protocol by rich.

for example both protocols measure glutathione - however have different ranges.

could the experts tell me where the similarities and more importantly to me, where the contrasts lie.

i gather that rich felt that the methylation protocol was the underlying cause of the mitochondrial dysfunction.

i think the pros and cons of each protocol would help one immeasurably when trying to make an informed decision and informed consent upon experimenting with these protocols on oneself.

thanks.

golden

Also i have had to stop several supplements due to bad reactions.

Is there a preferable order.

For example to me, it seems like beginning just with Glutathione for a couple of weeks first would be sensible.

Then adding other supplements which may cause an off load of toxins...

The co- q10 gets my heart racing way out of control- not happy with that.
The magnesium brings on severe fatigue.
The d3 has a horrible effect i cant describe...

Is there a better order to take these supplements?

thanks

I am very very pleased with turmeric powder - i feel it to be highly nourishing.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
golden

Rich valued the test of reduced glutathione (Health Diagnostics) rather than total glutathione. I don't know which value Dr. Myhill is using. Health Diagnostics tests both reduced glutathione (this is what the body uses) and oxidized (not what you want.)

There is a lot of discussion about supplementing glutathione -- with some strongly for and some strongly against. It is not uncommon to have a difficult reaction to it.

I'd guess some good testing might be helpful for you to see what is going on with your response to supplements.

Best wishes,
Sushi

golden

GLUTATHIONE

dr.myhill

Red cell
Glutathione peroxidase (GSH-PX) 67-90 (U/gHb)

red cell
Glutathione (GSH) 1.7 - 2.6 mmol/l

Methylation Protocol:

Glutathione (oxidised) 0.16-0.50
Glutathione (Reduced) 3.8 - 5.5 ( cant find measurement values)

Here are the two protocols for Glutathione measurements. I am not sure what any of that means? If they are the same or different and if different measurements, why?

I think Glutathione is the only similarity in blood tests. I dont think thete is any methylation panel tested on the Myhill test?

Thanks Sushi. What tests would tell me why i am having supplement problems?

invisiblejungle

This is from Rich VanK's write-up about the methylation panel:

"The level of GSH in the plasma is likely to be more reflective of tissue intracellular glutathione status than the more commonly and more easily measured red blood cell or (essentially equivalent) whole blood glutathione level, which is about three orders of magnitude greater, because red blood cells are normally net producers of glutathione. Also, knowledge of the level of the reduced form, as distinguished from total (reduced plus oxidized) glutathione, which is more commonly measured, is more diagnostic of the status of glutathione function."

I did the Genova NutrEval, which included whole blood glutathione. My result was near the high end of the reference range, which made me wonder, "So maybe methylation isn't a problem for me." Then I got the results of the Vitamin Diagnostics methylation panel, which showed low reduced glutathione and high oxidized glutathione. If Myhill's test is for red blood cell glutathione, then I don't think it would be as valuable.