Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Community Symposium on molecular basis of MECFS! DISCUSSION THREAD!

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ben H, Aug 9, 2017.

1. drewmaster

drewmaster

Exactly. Or to put it more bluntly, how soon can you get me out of this hell? That is the ONLY question that matters to some of us.

Esperanza, trails, merylg and 9 others like this.
  2. Neunistiva

Neunistiva Senior Member

@perrier @drewmaster Many of these researchers are parents or family members of severely ill suffers. They understand this oh too well.

merylg, MeSci, atleje and 28 others like this.
  3. Jill

Jill Senior Member

Auckland, NZ
    Ashley and Janet are kindly posting picture to make us feel more included in the scientific section. Imagine, poor Whitney is probably completely unaware of what his amazing family are doing for us all. Ron has called on personnel friendships to battle this illness and probably done the most a single person has done for this illness in a short space of time . We all know how desperate people are but until the science speaks no one can promise anything. These guys are trying to fast track as much as possible. If there is to be any anger it should be aimed at governments around the world for letting this mess go on ..

skylark, meg22, NK17 and 58 others like this.
  4. Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Janet Dafoe (Rose49) Board Member

Thank you for saying this. Yes we are just as desperate as you and understand completely. I appreciate this post very much.

5. Ben H

Ben H OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    Hey @Katrina

I hope you can still make it! I'm not sure if that is the same room, but don't worry, air shall be provided...even some of the scientists need it I am told :D

On a serious note the room will be totally suitable for the purpose of the Symposium of course @AshleyHalcyoneH

Hoping you can make it!

B

6. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Thank you Janet and Ashley for posting the photos and helping us to feel included. I completely understand that the discussions on these first 2 days can't be live streamed or shared.

It is a sign of the truly cooperative spirit of these wonderful scientists that they are prepared to speak openly to each other about their latest ideas, discoveries, and developments without having to worry about the confusion their speculations and half developed theories might cause if we all tried to join in. I want them to be able to speak openly and share their ideas, so even better collaboration can develop.

I am really looking forward to listening to the talks today on live stream, though with the time difference, I don't suppose I'll last beyond the morning session.

Is there any idea when it might appear on You tube so we can catch up later?

7. drewmaster

drewmaster

I agree completely. And just to clarify: I'm not angry. Rather, I am awestruck at the determination of these scientists to solve this thing despite virtually no support or funding. What they are doing is phenomenal.

I'm not asking for promises either; obviously no one can say when this will be solved. But what would be extremely appreciated is an educated guess. 1 year? 2 years? 5? 10?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    MEMum, Wonko and Aroa like this.
  8. sue la-la

sue la-la

Melbourne, Australia
    apologies - i've cancelled this project because my brain imploded

Transcriptions of the Community Symposium (Sat 12th)

i'm hoping to transcribe the 2 talks by Chris Armstrong, and Neil McGregor (University of Melbourne).

i will post them in this thread, when ready - hoping others might proof-read the results / suggest corrections.

(transcriptions, because i can't follow real-time verbal conversation, and know that some of us prefer written dialogue. also youtube auto captions are a little bit sqpoihghin-dksjhgbkj)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  9. Manganus

Manganus Senior Member

Canary islands
    Lovely!

:star: :star: :star::star: :bouquet:

MEMum, Ben H and sue la-la like this.
  10. sdmcvicar

sdmcvicar

It's a different room. When I arrived at the Sheraton Palo Alto yesterday night, I found that one of their ballrooms had been booked for the scientists' meeting. Today is at the Paul Brest Hall at Stanford.

Katrina and MEMum like this.
  11. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Am sending my absolute best wishes to everyone attending and presenting at the conference today. I'm at my third day of IVIG today but am thinking about you all and save me a (virtual) seat @Jesse2233 and @Webdog LOL.

valentinelynx, merylg, justy and 6 others like this.
  12. necessary8

necessary8

Did dr Naviaux mention anything about the suramin trial? Like, is it already underway, or if not when will it be started?

I know you guys can't reveal any of the science that is being talked there, but maybe this is an information you can share? I understand if not.

Jan likes this.
  13. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Oooh, I just clicked on the link in the e-mail. There's a count down clock. 31 minutes to go. Let's hope it works OK. For the first time in my 27 years with ME I am about to 'attend' an ME science conference from my bed. So exciting! Just a pity it's already 5pm here in the UK. No way I'll make it through to the end.

14. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Exciting!

rosie26, BurnA, MEMum and 2 others like this.
  15. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

Are the links we get in our e-mail personalized or can i send the same link to another person (or does it need a separate registration)?

MEMum likes this.
  16. Ben H

Ben H OMF Correspondent

U.K.
    All aboard!

Missense, mango, aimossy and 2 others like this.
  17. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    I followed the link and have the "Welcome" page, but no sound yet. SO eager for this! THANK YOU for arranging for live-streaming of this important day!

18. PeeWee

PeeWee

can anyone see / hear this, or have we gone wrong?

19. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

9:02:05, nothing yet

20. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

so just have a frozen screen of all their faces. is that what others have? so excited!

See more popular forum discussions.