• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Common Symptoms in Fibromyalgia. How common in ME/CFS?

In the last week, which of these symptoms were intensly present for you?

• Pain

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Nonrestorative sleep

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Fatigue

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Morning stiffness

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

Tony Mach

Show me the evidence.
In this study (An internet survey of 2,596 people with fibromyalgia) they had this interesting table with symptoms sorted by intensity during the past week:
1. Morning stiffness
2. Fatigue
3. Nonrestorative sleep
4. Pain
5. Forgetfulness
6. Concentration
7. Difficulty falling asleep

What surprised me is that pain is only fourth in Fibro (and after that the intensity starts to tail of). It would be interesting to see how it would look in ME/CFS. We can only do simpler polls here, but let's give it a try.

SOC

Interesting question. I think, though, that the fact that many of us are on meds for pain and sleep is going to distort this poll to the point of making it meaningless without more info.

The same is probably true of the Fibro poll you mentioned, Tony. Pain may be the 4th symptoms because there are some pain treatments available to most patients with Fibro, but fatigue is largely untreated.

taniaaust1

In this study (An internet survey of 2,596 people with fibromyalgia) they had this interesting table with symptoms sorted by intensity during the past week:
1. Morning stiffness
2. Fatigue
3. Nonrestorative sleep
4. Pain
5. Forgetfulness
6. Concentration
7. Difficulty falling asleep

What surprised me is that pain is only fourth in Fibro (and after that the intensity starts to tail of). It would be interesting to see how it would look in ME/CFS. We can only do simpler polls here, but let's give it a try.

Many who have been diagnosed with just FM actually have ME/CFS with that diagnoses being missed. At least a quarter of FM patients have been found to have CFS/ME.

If ME wasnt ruled out with many of the patients having it, that survey would probably tend to have fatigue ranking higher then pain due to ME patients. (unless people are tending to get good pain management??)