• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Common antibiotic linked to sudden heart deaths

RL_sparky

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...antibiotic-linked-to-sudden-heart-deaths.html

An antibiotic taken by millions of patients has been linked to heart deaths prompting researchers to call for an 'urgent' evaluation.

A Dutch study found that people taking clarithromycin were 76 per cent more likely to die than those taking penicillin and the risk was greater in women who were more than twice as likely to die.

Clarithromycin is used for respiratory infections and 2.2m doses were prescribed in 2013 in England.

Experts said the findings do not prove that the drug is dangerous or should be withdrawn and instead further research is needed to establish if there was a difference in the types of people prescribed clarithromycin compared with those receiving other antibiotics.

Gingergrrl

The studies often quoted in the US report azithromycin causing sudden cardiac death and other cardiac symptoms as well so it seems to relate it that whole class of antibiotics.

I avoid that whole class for this reason but I had such a terrible experience with another antibiotic that I am much more cautious than the average person!