International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Commentary: Structural and functional features of central nervous system lymphatic vessels

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Sushi, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Professor Ruggiero continues commentary on the Facebook page: Remembering Dr. Bradstreet:

justy, Effi, merylg and 3 others like this.
  2. Asa

Asa Senior Member

Questions, please (to anyone). Is the above statement a basic and accepted fact? And how long roughly has this idea been around/widely accepted? (Recent years only or decades?) Just curious. Thank you.

jimells likes this.
  3. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    Just a note from personal experience: I get regular manual lymphatic drainage and this is extremely helpful for me, as it decreases the intensity of my symptoms. My practitioner always says that there is a crazy amount of waste material created in my lymphatic system, and that it feels as if I constantly have an inflammation or an accute immune response. Whenever I've stopped treatment for a couple of weeks (due to the practitioner being on holidays) all my full blown symptoms return: joint pain, migraines, sluggishness, constipation, ... I think our disease process creates a lot of waste, flooding the lymphatic vessels in such a way that it's impossible to clear out, causing a wide array of symptoms (as an effect, not a cause).

There is very little known about the lymphatic system and doctors generally are completely clueless about the major benefits of this treatment. My guess is that there's gonna be a whole lot of interesting things written about this in the near future...

4. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

No, this is not accepted wisdom. There is now considerable reason to believe cytotoxic T-cells do cross into the brain, and reemerge through the lymphatic pathways mentioned. These are larger than typical bacteria, but it does not follow that those bacteria have free entry to the brain. Some bacteria found in postmortem examination of brains, like the infamous treponema pallidum, are capable of tricks that make it hard to keep them out if entire blood cells can get in. The whole subject needs a great deal of new research.

jimells, Sushi, Asa and 1 other person like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    It could also be that, if we are not very active, we are not moving the lymph along via skeletal muscle contraction as much as we need to.

Little Bluestem and Scarecrow like this.
  6. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    When I first got ill, I was still being very active, but the lymph situation was the same as it is now. So I don't think it has anything to do with immobility in my case...

MeSci likes this.
  7. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I went for a fluid deprivation test some years ago to see if I was able to concentrate urine properly (of course the medics couldn't get their heads round the fact that my ability fluctuated).

I was instructed to keep as as still as possible (for several hours), in a chair that was too large for me so that my legs didn't reach the ground. It was impossible to get comfortable. Fluid started accumulating around my middle, my clothes became tight and my back started hurting.

I was concentrating urine all right, but not via my kidneys - it appeared to be stuck in my lymphatic system and not even reaching my kidneys!

Little Bluestem and Effi like this.
  8. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    Is this treatment the Perrin technique?

9. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    It's the Dr Vodder technique

Little Bluestem and John Mac like this.
  10. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    I just asked my practitioner about this, and she says that the lymph system is most active when we are at rest. So it would make sense for the lymphatic system to work better when we're inactive. This still doesn't explain why there is continuously so much waste to clean up... Another mystery to add to the pile I guess... ;)

11. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    This looks like a good page on the lymphatic system.

Little Bluestem, jimells and Effi like this.
  12. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    It's occurred to me - what does your practitioner mean by 'most active'? There are lots of tasks performed by the lymphatic system. Maybe some are performed mostly when we are at rest and some mostly when we are active.

Effi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.