• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Combination of 3 key treatments has me feeling significantly better

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Recently I found a combination of three treatments that, together, have lead to significant improvement for going on 2+ months. None of these treatments alone are new and all three have been discussed here plenty of times: (1) Equilibrant, (2) far infrared sauna (every other day for 30 mins.), and (3) thymic protein 3x/day. But there was something about finding the right combination of the three, and in the right order, that seemed to work for me. I wrote a more detailed blog post about why I think they worked together.

I've also been PMing with another member here and we both agree that the far infrared sauna has greatly helped both of us. I think it's an underrated therapy and should get more attention in ME/CFS circles. Just my opinion. Wanted to share this in case it helps others...

And thanks to everyone here for their continued sharing of experiences. PR is an invaluable resource.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Recently I found a combination of three treatments that, together, have lead to significant improvement for going on 2+ months. None of these treatments alone are new and all three have been discussed here plenty of times: (1) Equilibrant, (2) far infrared sauna (every other day for 30 mins.), and (3) thymic protein 3x/day. But there was something about finding the right combination of the three, and in the right order, that seemed to work for me. I wrote a more detailed blog post about why I think they worked together.

I've also been PMing with another member here and we both agree that the far infrared sauna has greatly helped both of us. I think it's an underrated therapy and should get more attention in ME/CFS circles. Just my opinion. Wanted to share this in case it helps others...

And thanks to everyone here for their continued sharing of experiences. PR is an invaluable resource.

I agree about FIR. I also do it every other day and it does help in several areas.

Sushi

Nielk

Thanks for sharing this with us, Calvin.

In what way do you think that the far infrared sauna is helping?

Thanks,
Nielk

Seven7

Seven
Sushi, Can u Do sauna w POTs??? I stayed away because the times I tried, it crashed me so bad (POTs crash).

Jenny

I enjoyed reading your blog, PW, and it's good to hear that you're improving. It's refreshing to read such a careful analysis of what might be helping you.

FWIW I haven't had any benefit from FIR saunas over a 3 month period, but perhaps I needed to try them for longer.

Jenny

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Thanks for sharing this with us, Calvin.

In what way do you think that the far infrared sauna is helping?

Thanks,
Nielk

Hi Nielk,

Good question. And it's one I've been discussing with my fellow FIR enthusiast here on PR. Basically, there's three theories:

1) It eliminates toxins. This suggests that toxicity may have been a much bigger issue for me than I thought.

2) There's the theory that it creates an "artificial fever" that stimulates the immune system and fights pathogens. As you know, heat is the immune system's first line of defense, or

3) It improves circulation. This isn't, alone, an explanation for the benefits, but there could be something about better circulation that makes us feel better.

Incidentally, I'll mention that the sauna helps me in two ways. There a short term bump in energy and feeling of well being within the first two hours after treatment,followed by a better night's sleep. Then, I've also found that it has led to more sustained, long-term improvement perhaps because of the detox effect or immune boosting.

Ema

Hi Nielk,

Good question. And it's one I've been discussing with my fellow FIR enthusiast here on PR. Basically, there's three theories:

1) It eliminates toxins. This suggests that toxicity may have been a much bigger issue for me than I thought.

2) There's the theory that it creates an "artificial fever" that stimulates the immune system and fights pathogens. As you know, heat is the immune system's first line of defense, or

3) It improves circulation. This isn't, alone, an explanation for the benefits, but there could be something about better circulation that makes us feel better.

Incidentally, I'll mention that the sauna helps me in two ways. There a short term bump in energy and feeling of well being within the first two hours after treatment,followed by a better night's sleep. Then, I've also found that it has led to more sustained, long-term improvement perhaps because of the detox effect or immune boosting.
I'll add another possibility...

Cortisol is released from the binding protein by heat...so if you are low in cortisol, it may make you feel temporarily better because more cortisol is free for use by the body.

The flip side of this is to be VERY careful though if you have adrenal issues because without good levels of those hormones (specifically aldosterone) it may be difficult to maintain proper electrolyte levels. I LOVE the FIR sauna as well but have had to give it up because I can't get it right with adrenal insufficiency and OI. Too little sodium often means too little blood volume and an exacerbation of symptoms.

Ema

caledonia

I tried FIR sauna several years ago, but even though I was replacing electrolytes, I had anxiety, heart palpitations, chest pains, etc. That was from just a few minutes in the sauna.

I plan on trying it again sometime, but not until I have my methylation cycle working better, have better adrenal function, can tolerate detox better, etc.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I tried the Biomat--which is a FIR based mat for about a month and had very minimal effect. It took a long time laying on it before I would even begin to sweat. Also, it's extremely expensive, and not very comfortable to lay on because it's rock hard due to being filled with crystals.

I much prefer a medium-hot bath with Epsom salt. But I make sure to drink a couple packs of Emergen-C before I get in the tub, and to not stay in longer than 15-20 minutes. After I get out, I sweat for at least half and hour, and then I usually feel significant relief from some of my flu-like symptoms.

Dumb question. Is a dry sauna at the gym, the same as an FIR sauna? When I use the dry sauna..I'm good for about 5 minutes before I get light headed.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Calvin, and others using the FIR sauna - are you using a walk in type or a mat/sit in type? just wondering what would be the most effective - i have been recommended to have these saunas by Dr Myhill and am not sure which type to get. I could save up and buy a walk in type - but if the sit in tent types wrok just as well they are significantly cheaper and easier to put in the home. I wouldnt be able to go out to use one in a clinic as frequently as i would need to do it.

Also how long do you stay in for?

Glad to see you have some improvements.
Take care, Justy x

The Biomat has helped me tremendously in combination with other things I have been doing. I actually had to talk to Sushi in the beginning about the best way to use it because I went way too fast and ended up really sick from it. Once I started again and went slowly, it has played a huge role in my recent improvement. I actually have only gotten up to about 113 degrees (F) on it and so I don't sweat but I believe it has still helped me detoxify. I always shower after using it (I figured theoretically it could bring stuff up even if I don't sweat so might as well treat it the same way) and I have ended up with random detox signs (rashes, breakouts, etc) that I thought were completely coincidental but have happened too much that I believe it very well could be a sign of detox. I originally bought the mat strictly for pain (the muscle aches and tenderness and pelvic pain due to the overlapping Interstitial Cystitis) but I have been so pleasantly surprised at how much it has helped my overall health (temperature regulation, pain levels, fatigue, etc). It has been gradual over time but I have only seen more improvements from it. I would be glad to share more via PM with anyone who might be interested in going the biomat route for FIR and/or adjunct health tool!