• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cognitive problems because of medications?

arx

Hi,

I want to know if any of you have faced cognitive problems because of medications, mainly antidepressants and/or antipsychotics. I am on some medications and have trouble with concentration and memory. Could the medicines be causing this? If you have some experience,please share.

Thanks!

Crux

Hi arx;
I did have cognitive problems because of some medications.
With SSRI's, I had increased depression, sometimes uncontrollable crying.
With an SNRI, I had uncontrollable anxiety.
With mirtazapine, hypomania.
With imipramine, suicidality.

I tried low dose Zyprexa, ( olanzapine), for insomnia; and experienced sudden weight gain, brain fog, and fatigue.

Some drugs suppress thyroid function, causing fatigue and cognitive dysfunction.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21996646

Lotus97

Sometimes SSRIs have caused cognitive problems for me, but not always I don't think. Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors are sometimes prescribed for ADD so SNRIs could possibly help (although they're not exactly the same so maybe not). I haven't found SNRIs helpful for depression though and I don't remember if they helped with brain fog. I've also experienced weight gain from atypical antipsychotics such as Zyprexa and Risperdal, but I slept so well that I made two of my biggest recoveries during those periods. The second time (when I was on Risperdal) I got to the point where I was able to work out at the gym. I also had high cholesterol with those medications. Plus they can cause high blood sugar.

Grigor

Sometimes SSRIs have caused cognitive problems for me, but not always I don't think. Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors are sometimes prescribed for ADD so SNRIs could possibly help (although they're not exactly the same so maybe not). I haven't found SNRIs helpful for depression though and I don't remember if they helped with brain fog. I've also experienced weight gain from atypical antipsychotics such as Zyprexa and Risperdal, but I slept so well that I made two of my biggest recoveries during those periods. The second time (when I was on Risperdal) I got to the point where I was able to work out at the gym. I also had high cholesterol with those medications. Plus they can cause high blood sugar.
Were those the reasons why you stopped with Risperdal?