• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cognitive Decline

SmokinJoeFraz93

Hi, I'm just wondering if someone experiences the same kind of cognitive dysfunction as me.

It started about a year ago, and it's just become worse. It's hard to explain and put into words, but I just feel as if my logic/common sense has gone when it comes to thinking or reasoning. For example, I'll feel so many emotions, but I just don't know what the logic/middle ground is when I feel an emotion, so I don't know what to tell myself because I don't know 'the truth or 'logic'.

I was put on venlafaxine, and the meds did help as in the sense of numb a lot of emotions. But I'm sure that's not healthy. I had to come off them because I had physical symptoms such as muscle jerks, difficulty breathing and overwhelming tiredness.

Since coming off them, I've noticed my cognitive ability has declined, but I refuse to go back on any antidepressants.

Sorry the explanation is difficult to explain. I hope one of you can kind of understand.

62milestogojoe

What's a forum then?
Hi, I'm just wondering if someone experiences the same kind of cognitive dysfunction as me.

It started about a year ago, and it's just become worse. It's hard to explain and put into words, but I just feel as if my logic/common sense has gone when it comes to thinking or reasoning. For example, I'll feel so many emotions, but I just don't know what the logic/middle ground is when I feel an emotion, so I don't know what to tell myself because I don't know 'the truth or 'logic'.

Hi, I know where you are coming from-I considered myself reasonably 'hard'-I used to mountaineer, ride motorcycles, play rugby etc but there are periods when I am not able to control my emotional state and I take myself away from my wife and kids and cry like a child.

The brain fog you are describing features in my ME symptoms too and has been so bad at times that I have been unable to spell my name and I slur my words like a drunk. It is overwhelmingly undermining and makes a person feel hopeless.

I don' know if you managed to look at a piece I put up recently on the Neurological symptoms forum but if the mess in the brain is attributable to ME then there is your answer to why.

As to what to do about- I've been using supplements, smart drugs and pulsed steroids (prednisolone) to good effect but when I get near to crashing those symptoms you talk about can come back. Pace everything.

So you are not alone SmokinJoe.

SmokinJoeFraz93

Hi, I know where you are coming from-I considered myself reasonably 'hard'-I used to mountaineer, ride motorcycles, play rugby etc but there are periods when I am not able to control my emotional state and I take myself away from my wife and kids and cry like a child.

The brain fog you are describing features in my ME symptoms too and has been so bad at times that I have been unable to spell my name and I slur my words like a drunk. It is overwhelmingly undermining and makes a person feel hopeless.

I don' know if you managed to look at a piece I put up recently on the Neurological symptoms forum but if the mess in the brain is attributable to ME then there is your answer to why.

As to what to do about- I've been using supplements, smart drugs and pulsed steroids (prednisolone) to good effect but when I get near to crashing those symptoms you talk about can come back. Pace everything.

So you are not alone SmokinJoe.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. So what I’m going through is called ‘brain fog’. I just wanted to know if the particular symptoms I just shared were part of brain fog.

Making judgements or assumptions have become compromised. It’s like I don’t even have an opinion anymore, because for me to have an opinion, majority of the time I have to ‘work it out’ in my mind what my opinion/assumption is.

I’ve also noticed my mental health issues have got really worse. It’s like I’m feeling EVERYTHING nowadays.

What supplements do you take?

I’m really sorry to hear what you’re going through mate. It’s heartbreaking to read what you’re going through. I couldn’t imagine how you feel.

62milestogojoe

What's a forum then?
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. So what I’m going through is called ‘brain fog’. I just wanted to know if the particular symptoms I just shared were part of brain fog.

Making judgements or assumptions have become compromised. It’s like I don’t even have an opinion anymore, because for me to have an opinion, majority of the time I have to ‘work it out’ in my mind what my opinion/assumption is.

I’ve also noticed my mental health issues have got really worse. It’s like I’m feeling EVERYTHING nowadays.

What supplements do you take?

I’m really sorry to hear what you’re going through mate. It’s heartbreaking to read what you’re going through. I couldn’t imagine how you feel.
I think a lot of us are going through this SmokinJoe and after 6 years of it... what can I say? Bummer.
Breakfast
CoQ10
Huperzine A
Alpha GPC
L-arginine
Ashwagandha
Bacopa
Ginkgo
Noopept
Lion's mane
Garlic
Acetyl -l-carntine
Ginseng
Vit C
Multivit
Probiotics
Creatine
N-acetyl-cysteine
Magnesium
Fish oil

Evening
Magnesium
5-HTP
L-theanine
5mg mirtazipine for bed.

I experience cognitive impairment. It's hard to track over time because it's difficult to try to remember what you were experiencing 2 weeks ago let alone 2 months, 2 years, or 20 years. I try to look for obvious clues of something new. This is easiest to see with memory problems. I know I will experience more senior moments as I get older, but it seems clear that something bigger is going on when I experience significantly more memory problems when I'm experiencing a crash or when I'm worn out than I do when I'm rested. I can also tell that concentration is impaired and varies depending on how much I've been pushing myself. I can also notice this in the kind of mistakes that people call "brain farts" where I say the wrong thing and often don't even notice it until someone points it out (simple thinks like saying, "He's coming on May 20," when I meant to say April). Again, what is most compelling to me is that when I have the opportunity to rest, these problems tend to disappear and they can spike when I'm forcing myself to be active when I'm worn out or crashing.

I started taking Ritalin 8 years ago and it has helped me a great deal. Some people experience increased anxiety on the drug, but I didn't. My doctor prefers the time-released Concerta version, so that's what I've taken. It definitely gives me a great improvement in cognitive function. At higher doses it also gives some unpleasant side effects (mostly a feeling of being overstimulated), so I've cut back my dosage recently. It's a very clear tradeoff for me of cognitive function versus avoiding that overstimulated feeling. I also have orthostatic intolerance (both POTS and NMH) and I saw the Dr. Rowe recommends Ritalin as a drug to consider (it is a vasodilator).

MAOAr297r

I was put on venlafaxine, and the meds did help as in the sense of numb a lot of emotions. But I'm sure that's not healthy. I had to come off them because I had physical symptoms such as muscle jerks, difficulty breathing and overwhelming tiredness.

Since coming off them, I've noticed my cognitive ability has declined, but I refuse to go back on any antidepressants.

Sorry the explanation is difficult to explain. I hope one of you can kind of understand.
I understand so much. I've had the same problems with antidepressants. I suggest you try a bunch of different ones until you find one that works. Thats what I did and it helps. I was at lunch the other day and I had to add a $5 tip to a $20 bill and I wrote something like 27.....I'm honestly a little scared because I want to go back to school and my heart sank when I realized what I did on that check.