• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clinical trial looking at manganese inhibiting drugs at Stanford

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate

duncan

Interesting study, @justy. Thank you for posting.

The idiosyncratic way that spirochetes deal with both iron and manganese does seem to suggest dealing with either peculiarity may be a good angle to approach treatment.

What a curious assortment of scientists that declare themselves part of Bay Area Lyme. Aucott and Branda...Embers and Eshoo - it's a wonder that the universe doesn't collapse into itself, what with their conflicted views & alliances.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall if ever they all are in the same room at the same time - which I would have to imagine would be via Skype, since they are spread across the expanse of the US.

justy

@duncan - i'm not familiar with those particular docs, but I did notice Dr Kogelnik is involved, which intrigues me as most M.E researchers seem to deny that Lyme is involved in M.E....wonder if he sees an overlap or keeps it separate?

I have iron and manganese deficiencies - have decided not to supplement manganese, but hitting the iron right now.

duncan

Kogelnik is involved? I did not see that. Via the Stanford connection, I am assuming.

I'm sorry, I cannot see where it says that, and I am sure it is right in front of me.

Last edited:

RL_sparky

Kogelnik is involved? I did not see that. Via the Stanford connection?
Update as of August 13, 2015
The Lyme Clinical trial is currently in review at Stanford University with Principal Investigators: Dr. Safwan Jaradeh (Stanford – Dept of Neurology) and Dr. Andreas Kogelnik (Open Medicine Institute) as well as Dr. Jay Rajadas (Stanford – BioADD Laboratory) around whose work the trial was based.

http://www.bayarealyme.org/our-research/treatments/clinical-trial/

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have iron and manganese deficiencies - have decided not to supplement manganese, but hitting the iron right now.
Christine (Dog Person) said the manganese was needed by the endoplasmic reticulum where iron is processed. I am not sure you will be able to utilize the iron if you are manganese deficient. [But then I am not sure you won't be able to either. I am not knowable on the subject.]

justy

Christine (Dog Person) said the manganese was needed by the endoplasmic reticulum where iron is processed. I am not sure you will be able to utilize the iron if you are manganese deficient. [But then I am not sure you won't be able to either. I am not knowable on the subject.]
yes I remember that well and I know manganese is important for iron absorption. Problem is I have Lyme and Lyme feeds on Manganese, rather than iron. But thanks for reminding me!