• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Chronic fatigue syndrome: what is it and how to treat?" (editorial with PACE Trial 2-yr follow-up)

Dolphin

2 important points raised in the Lancet Psychiatry editorial, "Chronic fatigue syndrome: what is it and how to treat?", on the new PACE Trial paper:

"Individuals who received APT or SMC alone displayed improvement in fatigue and physical functioning irrespective of receiving further treatment, such that no difference in outcomes was evident between any of the original treatment groups* at long-term follow-up."

*i.e. APT, GET, CBT and SMC-alone

"The authors hypothesise that the improvement in the APT and SMC only groups might be attributed to the effects of post-trial CBT or GET, because more people from these groups accessed these therapies during follow-up. However, improvement was observed in these groups irrespective of whether these treatments were received, and thus this hypothesis remains unproven."

daisybell

I'm not keen on the fact that they refer to it as a neuropsychiatric disorder but at least the article mentions the Rituximab trial.