• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Gastrointestinal inflammation is the real cause

Gijs

Behind the debilitating exhaustion of chronic fatigue syndrome could be
gastrointestinal inflammation.

Chronic fatigue syndrome refers to tiredness that is disabling, and its
causes are not completely known, the National Center for
Biotechnological Information said. Physically, the first section of the
small intestine becomes inflamed in patients with chronic fatigue
syndrome, plagued by disease-fighting white blood cells, which indicate
the immune system is attacking invaders, according to Health Rising.
Holistic Primary Care said patients with the syndrome have a
gastrointestinal lining with a higher permeability, causing the immune
system to become active.

Research found that patients with chronic fatigue syndrome have
differences in gut flora, according to Medscape (...) (c) Read more:

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures...intestinal-inflammation/2016/01/07/id/708633/

Last edited by a moderator:

msf

If they were just going to rehash Maes and De Meirleir´s work, they could have at least mentioned them in the article.

Gijs

I think this article is pseudoscience but anyway the gut is a problem in many patiënts. If you can treat this you feel much better. However it isn't THE CAUSE of ME/CFS.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I think this article is pseudoscience but anyway the gut is a problem in many patiënts. If you can treat this you feel much better. However it isn't THE CAUSE of ME/CFS.

Might be good if you edited the title to reflect that - maybe put the claim in quote marks.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It is the headline of the article. Not my guote.

What I mean is that, because you haven't put the title of this thread in quotes, it appears to be you who is making the claim that GI inflammation is the real cause of CFS.

Mark

What I mean is that, because you haven't put the title of this thread in quotes, it appears to be you who is making the claim that GI inflammation is the real cause of CFS.
That's what I thought too, before I read post 4 in the thread.

M Paine

I think it's fair to say the cause of CFS (or causes, plural) are unknown. The relationship between the microbiome dysregulation and cfs isn't understood well enough to rule it in or out as a causative agent.

Do poorly written science journalism articles belong in the new research forum?