• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic fatigue patients more likely to suppress emotions

snowathlete

A blunted or "flat" affect is associated with ME/CFS and is defined as a lack of emotional expressiveness. This is not the same thing as suppression! Just because my emotions can't be easily read on my face doesn't mean that I'm suppressing them. Suppression is an effort to hide emotion, whereas having a blunted or flat affect takes no effort at all.

Idiots:mad:

I'd have thought that lack of emotional expressiveness is far more likely to occur in a doctors office where the focus of conversation is on your disability.
Also, as we have a lack of energy it would also be expected as making expressions costs energy, so you either avoid it, or do it to a lesser degree. Doesn't equal not having those emotions though.

mango

I'd say there's a massive difference between suppressing emotions and purposely choosing not to always express them (for example for tactical or practical reasons).

To me "to suppress emotions" means not allowing yourself to feel them. To try and hide them, to pretend they are not there.

However, it's obviously totally possible to feel and accept emotions fully, and at the same time choosing not to express them right then and there.
[...] this does not indicate a causal link between emotional suppression and the syndrome itself, Rimes added.

But she didn't comment on whether they believe it is a perpetuating factor or not...

Last edited:

JaimeS

The findings don't surprise me at all - I can no more sustain anger or upset for long periods without exhaustion than I can run around the block. Unsurprisingly, I try to suppress and avoid such things.

I do rather wish that it was someone else interpreting the results here though.

Immediately what I thought. Of course we try to control our emotional reactions more; they're exhausting. Everyone's emotions are exhausting, but we have less of an energy envelope in the first place.

These people have the worst correlation/causation illogic. At this point, all they elicit is an eye-roll.

-J

JaimeS

The film they showed wasn't exactly neutral I can imagine a lot of people with chronic conditions wouldn't be particularly shocked by the state of care services in the UK and especially people with ME. If they failed to choose a neutral video clip and didn't control for chronic disease (i.e. have other groups with different chronic illnesses) then their results are meaningless.

Wow, that makes it SO much worse.

"We chose a video intended to elicit certain reactions from the CFS community, but that would likely have no personal meaning to controls."

62770960.jpg

panckage

Lol I do try to suppress my negative emotions for people who don't understand my disease and keep trying to force me to do something that is bad for my health. DUH!!

I think for me though is that when my symptoms are bad I largely lose the ability to feel emotions. I don't know if it's my body just conserving energy or what but it feels like my while emotional system becomes nonfunctional and I become aspbergers like (although my brain capacity definitely becomes less than theirs too,!). I think this would have been the more relevant thing to research....

Forbin

Yes. You had an irregular outburst of emotion that wasn't in line with your usual depressive/anxietous behavior. Your HPA axis subsequently panicked and died.

Damn. I knew I should never have installed that cheap "SELD-M-BREAK" brand HPA axis!

Untitled-1.jpg

[To be fair, this study is about the suppression of negative emotions, not all emotions. So, I guess my positive emotions at the time of onset are irrelevant.
- - -​
Actually, the study is really about the suppression of the display of emotions, which is not the same thing as the suppression of emotions themselves - as Cyrano de Bergerac, or any poker player, can tell you.]

Last edited:

Mij

Expending energy - whether it be physical, cognitive or emotional energy can be quite draining.
Perhaps it is not "suppression of emotion" so much as pacing done by patients to minimize emotional highs or lows and thereby minimize energy expenditure....

Exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps we're snobs too? I avoid people.

JaimeS

Yeaaaahh, I have a Google alert for 'chronic fatigue' and it's incredible how fast people latched on to this one. The public really likes the idea. :rolleyes:

I think it's because it gives them something to do to prevent CFS: just express yourself unlike those buttoned-up CFSers and you'll never catch / inherit this illness. It's a prescription for success!

On another note, if anyone was ever in doubt that the 'CFS' label is really as demeaning as people say, comparing the articles that pop up for ME/CFS or ME vs CFS alone is mindblowing.

-J

JaimeS

Really, isn't "people with chronic illness more stressed and anxious" basically "Bear researchers at Kings in shock dump in the woods discovery"? Shows how desperate they are to put a spin on things really.

This crosses my mind rather a lot. The emphasis SHOULD be on "all people with chronic illness deal with increased stress" and instead only a few illnesses get this narrative. We've certainly had some theories as to why, not the least of which is the on-again, off-again nature of the illness for some, the primarily female patient population, and the fact that it's a neurological disorder. Apparently, this is the gauntlet that all neurological disorders must run. :(