• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Choose the order: Oximatrine, Olmesartan, Famciclovir, Inosine Pranobex and Cycloferon.

pamojja

In rats, yes. It showed therapeutic effects due to inhibiting NF kB.

But where is the single case study that what happened with Adalimumab in one person (side-effect incidence of 1 to how many millions taking this pharmaceutical drug daily?), also ever happened in someone taking curcumin supplements?

Lyme neuroborreliosis in a patient treated with TNF-alpha inhibitor.

Abstract
A 57-year-old woman, receiving TNF-alpha inhibitor adalimumab for psoriasis, presented with early Lyme neuroborreliosis (Bannwarth's syndrome). Discontinuation of adalimumab and 14-day therapy with ceftriaxone resulted in a smooth course and favorable outcome of Lyme borreliosis. This is the first report on Lyme neuroborreliosis in a patient treated with TNF-alpha inhibitor.

Red emphasis added by me.

Last edited:

JES

My understanding is that biologic medication like Adelimumab bind to TNF-alpha and block it fully. Curcumin does not work in this way and can at most only partially block TNF-alpha, so they are not comparable. Bupropion is another medication that only reduces TNF-alpha instead of fully blocking it. I always wondered why they don't use bupropion more instead of these potentially dangerous and expensive biologic drugs, but I guess money talks.

uglevod

But where is the single case study that what happened with Adalimumab in one person (side-effect incidence of 1 to how many millions taking this pharmaceutical drug daily?)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12244188
IFN-gamma-induced killing of T. gondii appeared to be partially mediated by TNF-alpha, and addition of TNF-alpha could compensate for the abrogated killing of T. gondii in the patient's macrophages.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214250916300300
Our case report illustrates the increased risk of toxoplasmosis in RA patients treated with anti-TNFα therapy. Indeed, it is suspected that the IFN-γ adalimumab-related inhibitory effect may favor T. gondii replication and reactivation.

Toxo is one of my chronic infections. The world's seropositivity for toxo is very high: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii
In humans, T. gondii is one of the most common parasites in developed countries;serological studies estimate that 30–50% of the global population has been exposed to and may be chronically infected with T. gondii, although infection rates differ significantly from country to country.

I suspect TNF-alpha is required for sustainability against chronic Lyme too.
Yes, its only one documented case(as with toxo), but for me it is still telling(especially when packed with studies of the TNF-alpha impact on immune response towards infections). Don't forget official medical community don't even accept that the chronic lyme infection exists, the market value of anti-inflammatory drugs like TNF-alpha inhibitors and general emphasis towards immune suppression as a treatment strategy for every case of chronic disease(think prednisone, etc).

@JES, your avatar reminded me of this: :)

serveimage.jpg

Last edited:

pamojja

But where is the single case study that what happened with Adalimumab in one person (side-effect incidence of 1 to how many millions taking this pharmaceutical drug daily?), also ever happened in someone taking curcumin supplements?

Yes, its only one documented case(as with toxo), but for me it is still telling(especially when packed with studies of the TNF-alpha impact on immune response towards infections).

It is one thing to speculate without any evidence, a completely other to accuse a respected member of this community out of such speculation of lack in ethics.

Speaking of what is unethical and what is not ... well, pushing another disease symptoms suppressing supplement(basically any anti-inflammatory starting with a basic one like curcumin and ending up with a powerful TNF-alpha inhibitor) seems far more unethical to me - just a matter of point of view.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12680238?dopt=Abstract

Pharmacologically, curcumin has been found to be safe. Human clinical trials indicated no dose-limiting toxicity when administered at doses up to 10 g/day.

Last edited:

uglevod

It is one thing to speculate without any evidence, a completely other to accuse a respected member of this community out of such speculation of lack in ethics.

What? anti-inflammatory supplements is pushed on every corner. :) I accused no one personally just the general state of things - i.e. how most of the supplements are used/pushed these days..

Pharmacologically, curcumin has been found to be safe. Human clinical trials indicated no dose-limiting toxicity when administered at doses up to 10 g/day.

Yeah, sure - now prove that this "clinical trial" was not funded by the curcumin "shops" for further reference.
... or prove that nf-cappa-b inhibition is safe. ;)

Why should I trust the study, authors of which did not even mention a possible drawbacks of nf-cappa-b inhibition?

pamojja

I accused no one personally just the general state of things - i.e. how most of the supplements are used/pushed these days..

Thanks for clarifying that. It seamed since you came with that accusation in response to Hip. Who does recommend trials with 3 g/d of Turmeric, which he found to be very helpful in his case.

... or prove that nf-cappa-b inhibition is safe. ;)

Already quoted a study which showed that little NF kB inhibition which cucurmin would be able to with up to 10 g/d is non-toxic.

But you seem so much in enamored by your speculation due to 1 single case report with a syntetic NR-kB inhibitor, that you now ask me for evidence to prove it wrong - for a speculation you coudn't provide any evidence to begin with?

uglevod

But you seem so much in enamored by your speculation due to 1 single case report with a syntetic NR-kB inhibitor, that you now ask me for evidence to prove it wrong - for a speculation you coudn't provide any evidence to begin with?

I've also provided 2 reports where TNF-alpha inhibitor was suspected to be a reason for chronic infection proliferation.

These two(TNF-alpha and Nf-cappa-b) seems to be interlinked: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8530143
I'am sure If I'll dig PubMed I'll find a study where Nf-cappa-b inhibition influences TNF levels.

Anyway, its obvious from multiple studies that Nf-cappa-b inhibition down-regulates the immune system and also the quoted study was taken against apparently healthy controls(not my case so is completely irrelevant).

P.S. @Hip in my foggy brain is associated with NAG and I remember his report on Olm with a symptom of mild photo-sensitivity and anhedonia improvement. Actually before trying Olm, I've collected all web data on MP I could find, including Hip's report. Both my several decades-length anhedonia and anxiety got slightly improved after about 18 months of Olmesartan.

It really sucks to realize that my unhealthy mental state(chronic brain inflammation) for the best part of the life was due to chronic, low grade persistent immune response against chronic infection(s), which MP(Olmesartan) just made obvious.. Now I hope the symptoms resolution will not take like the other part of my life, heh. :)

I've tried Nf-cappa-b inhibition(https://mpkb.org/home/othertreatments/quercetin) several times while on Olmesartan and it heavily palliated my brain - made unrested sleep solid, reduced anxiety, moved ADHD symptoms out of the edge into a more managed state, etc.

pamojja

These two(TNF-alpha and Nf-cappa-b) seems to be interlinked

Beside your base-less speculations, first of all high NF-kb is highly associated with chronic inflammation:

Introduction to NF-κB
Capture-300x171.png

NF-κB (nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells) is a protein complex that reads and copies the DNA (a transcription factor).

NF-kB is the single most important factor in causing inflammation in the body and virtually all popular herbs inhibit this protein complex (in many/most cells of the body). Other proteins that are very popular in the literature are the cytokines TNF, IL-1, and IL-6, but NF-kB largely controls the production of these and other cytokines.

NF-κB is activated in response to stress, cytokines (like IL-1b [R] and TNF), free radicals, ultraviolet irradiation, oxidized LDL, and bacterial or viral infections, cocaine, and ionizing radiation. See a full list below. With cytokines, the effect is bi-directional, as it induces cytokines and is induced bycytokines.

Oxidative stress/ROS/Free radicals is an important inducer of NF-KB.

NF-κB plays a key role in regulating the immune response to infection. Chronic activation of NF-κB has been linked to cancer, inflammatory, and autoimmune diseases. Too little activation leads to susceptibility to viral infection and improper immune development.

Though I haven't tested NF-kB, with all other inflammation marker regularly tested I can be certain mine to be elevated. CRP in average at 2.8 mg/L (optimal <1) and ESR at 20 mm/hr (<16). Never too low, but many times too high.

Diseases Associated With Chronic NF-κB Activation
This is only a partial list. Since NF-kB induces TNF, IL-1, and IL-6, it will contribute to all of the diseases associated with these cytokines.
Not associated with Autism [R].

NF-kB Inhibitors
Inhibiting NF-kB promotes antigen tolerance [R], which means it can reverse some food allergies/intolerances.

All because a substance inhibits NF-kB in one type of cell in the body, it doesn’t mean it’ll inhibit it in all cells. For example, some of these substances inhibit NF-kB in most of the body but activate it in the brain.

Lifestyle/Foods
Most fruits and veggies will help inhibit NF-kB.
Top Supplements

Though I practice most of those lifestyle and supplemental interventions to reduce NF-kB since 10 years, the results showing in my chronic inflammation markers is rather mediocre. Nevertheless, no side-effects, but a 60% walking-disability from a 80% blockage at my abdominal aorta bifurcation (PAD) meanwhile reversed thereby. :)

Of course if you're that convinced of your speculation - and rather not have easy to take blood tests as evidence against - you could even activate NF-kB to see of your theses has any benefits (just joking, don't!)

NF-kB Inducers

All things in moderation, specially NF kB.

Last edited:

nsdn

Hi. I'll start with Oxymatrine in 2 weeks. I have 200 capsules of 300 mg. The studies talk about 2 capsules a day. Is it advisable to try to go up to 3 or is it better to spend more time in my 2-capsules test? Thank you!

Last edited:

Hip

Hi. I'll start with Oxymatrine in 2 weeks. I have 200 capsules of 300 mg. The studies talk about 2 capsules a day. Is it advisable to try to go up to 3 or is it better to spend more time in my 2-capsules test? Thank you!

I understand that you start of slowly, with 1 capsule a day, and monitor any worsening of symptoms. If after a few days or a week you are fine with that, then you can move to 2 capsules a day (one in the morning, the other in the evening). Then after some more days you can move up to 3 capsules.

In this way you keep increasing the dose. In the past Dr Chia has taken patients up to 6 capsules a day, but I've read that more recently he seems to be limiting this ti 4 capsules (at least for some patients).

Symptoms may get worse before they get better.

I'd suggest searching this forum for "oxymatrine" and reading the posts and threads on this subject.

nsdn

Hi.

With what conventional laboratory tests can I know that it is safe to take Oxymatrine? I ask about the issue of autoimmunity.

Best regards.

nsdn

Hi. I have started 1 capsule of Oxymatrine every 12 hours. Is it a good idea to also take LDN? Thank you.

Last edited:

Hip

Is it a good idea to also take LDN? Thank you.

I believe you can take LDN with oxymatrine; however, it may not be a good idea to start both treatments at the same time, as if improvements in symptoms appear, or significant side effects appear, you may not be able to tell which treatment is causing them.

Having said that, I have often started two treatments at the same time, just because you want to find something that helps as quick as possible.

nsdn

Thank you @Hip

I left everything including the LDN before doing the analysis of the Spanish study of the NK last week.

I think it's best that the LDN wait.

Another doubt. It is very easy to take Oxymatrine every 12 hours. Could I take 1.5 capsules every 12 hours when I increase the dose or should I take 1 every 8 hours?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Hip

Another doubt. It is very convenient to take Oxymatrine every 12 hours. Could I take 1.5 capsules every 12 hours when I increase the dose or should I take 1 every 8 hours?

I think taking it twice a day should be fine.

There is a summary of oxymatrine treatment on MEpedia.