• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Choline Advice

cman89

I am thinking of experimenting with adding some form of choline into my supplements, since I take enough B-vitamins anyways and its basically another of that. I have run across a few threads talking about choline, but I was wondering if I could get some answers in one spot here. Who has supplemented with choline or a similar agent? What did you use and how successful was it?

cman89

I am thinking of experimenting with adding some form of choline into my supplements, since I take enough B-vitamins anyways and its basically another of that. I have run across a few threads talking about choline, but I was wondering if I could get some answers in one spot here. Who has supplemented with choline or a similar agent? What did you use and how successful was it?
Another note-currently, my digestion is pretty screwy, so any way to bypass that may have more success.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I've taken up to one-half teaspoon a day of choline bitartrate (1000mg choline) along with other B vitamins with no positive or negative effect. I was trying to detoxify hormones and provide liver support using this protocol:
https://www.drvitaminsolutions.com/content/uterine-fibroids-02
Detoxification of Hormones/Liver Support
  • Milk Thistle: 750 mg of standardized extract containing 80% silymarin and 30% silibinins
  • Artichoke Leaf: 500 mg of standardized extract 1 to 3 times daily
  • Dandelion Tincture: 5 – 10 mL 3 times daily, or dandelion root, 200 – 500 mg capsules twice daily
  • Goldenseal: 400 mg daily
  • Choline, Inositol, and Methionine: (complexed in a formulary to yield 1000 mg of choline and inositol daily). These nutrients may also be purchased separately as choline bitartrate, ½ tsp, twice daly; inositol, two 500 mg capsules daily; methionine powder, 500 mg daily
  • Calcium-d-glucarate: 137.5 – 400 mg daily

ebethc

I asked this question awhile ago. You can find a good discussion here.

I'm using citicoline, alpha GPC, and sunflower lecithin daily. This seems to be working well for me.

Do you think that the citicoline/alpha gpc/lecithin combo is helping the BHMT issues?

I supplement with choline sometimes if my diet doesn't have enough. A very good source is eggs, and if you don't eat eggs regularly, you may have insufficient levels of choline. I'd be curious if it has any benefits for people who already get well over the RDA of choline.