August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cholesterol levels poll: pls answer even if they're normal!

Discussion in 'Diagnostic Guidelines and Laboratory Testing' started by JaimeS, Jul 20, 2017.

?

What are your cholesterol levels usually, since you've gotten sick?

1. Very low -- less than 130 mg/dL (3.3618 mmol/L)

2. Clinically low -- 131 -- 160mg/dL (3.4 -- 4.1 mmol/L)

3. A bit lower than average -- 161 -- 179mg/dL (4.2 -- 4.6 mmol/L)

4. Normal or close enough -- 180 -- 200mg/dL (4.65 -- 5.17 mmol / L)

5. A bit higher than average -- 201 -- 220mg/dL (5.2 -- 5.69 mmol / L)

6. Clinically high -- 221 -- 250mg/dL (5.7 -- 6.47 mmol / L)

7. Very high -- higher than 250-mg/dL (6.5 or higher mmol / L)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mij

Mij Senior Member

@JaimeS do we need cholesterol to build new cells?

2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    @Mij -- If we want them to function, and not fall apart! :lol: Lipid rafts, of which they are a primary component, are necessary for cell recognition and immune response so far as WBCs are concerned. And in all cells, they help maintain cell integrity and fluidity. A cell would become fragile if the membrane contained zero cholesterol; and depleting the cell of cholesterol is often seen as a way of purposely axing the immune response, in an experimental research setting.

Valentijn and Mij like this.
  3. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

From Dr Lonesdale's new book on Thiamine

B1 Lonesdale2.jpg

4. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

So this means that people who eat fat and who have low cholesterol might have good T2 level.

People with CFS/ME who have high cholesterol may investigate a possibility of lack of T2.

5. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I was thinking about this. What if the reason that LDL is low is because it's being used up so fast and converted to Preg and downstream hormones? Maybe your body really needs to make cortisol to calm down inflammation and is using allot of LDL?

JaimeS likes this.
  6. Sundancer

Sundancer Senior Member

Holland
    a bit higher then average, I've been ill for 5 years now. Bloodwork from last year. My former GP never took cholesterol so cannot say whether there have been changes.

JaimeS likes this.
  7. Timaca

Timaca Senior Member

I've been tracking my lipid levels for years....getting them measured anywhere from 1 time per year to 3 times per year. My levels are tied to my diet. I have to eat whole foods, plant based, even low glycemic at times to get a reasonable cholesterol level. I don't really agree with the words "clinically low" in the poll describing a cholesterol level of 131 - 160. That is probably correct for values in the USA, but not an accurate description of those populations who don't get heart disease. Mine is 156 (taken in January).

Some might be interested in these videos by Dr. Kim Williams, past president of the American College of Cardiology, and Dr. Robert Ostfeld. There are more videos by these men (and others) on the Resources page of my blog.

JaimeS likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.