• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chocolate - likely to be causing 'wired but tired'?

Tally

I've been eating chocolate with over 70% cocoa content since I was a kid and it never made me wired or have trouble sleeping.

But lately I started suspecting it's causing my heart palpatation and delayed heart beats. Is that even possible?

me/cfs 27931

I try to consume a packet of CocoaVia every morning. It mildly helps my neuro symptoms while calming my "wired but tired" feeling. It's subtle, but I'll take any improvement I can get.

Insomnia is only an issue if I take it in the evening. I don't have issues with caffeine in general.

Edit: I use the unsweetened CocoaVia powder.

Last edited:

Keela Too

Sally Burch
I have been unable to eat chocolate for decades (migraine). I still got ME and still got "wired/tired" without any chocolate in my system ever. I think however sugar can induce unpleasant symptoms. I now avoid as much sugar as I can.

antherder

I like the taste of chocolate, but it makes me feel rather ill. I'm very sensitive to caffeine, and can't drink more than one cup a day, but definitely don't get the same reaction.

Chocolate is apparently high histamine, high salicylate, and high copper, so I suspect that may be why I react so badly to it.

antherder

But lately I started suspecting it's causing my heart palpatation and delayed heart beats. Is that even possible?

I know of someone who did discover that chocolate was the apparent cause of their heart symptoms. Anecdotal, of course.

Tally

I know of someone who did discover that chocolate was the apparent cause of their heart symptoms. Anecdotal, of course.

That doesn't seem to be the case for me. I eat even more dark chocolate now and my palpatations have stopped

Misfit Toy

Chocolate makes me very sick. I even bought the chocolate without the 8 allergens and I was even worse on that. I was itching and up all night. I have to get rid of one of my favorite foods!