• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chest Tightness, Thumping Heart beat in night - Not Anxiety

ChrisD

I have noticed over the last year that should I exert myself a bit too much (usually by just trying to increase my activity level slightly), that when I try to go to bed, I feel uptight and not restful. It takes a long time to get to sleep and I will wake up several times, but once in a blue moon (Last night Included), I will wake up with a very tight chest, strong heartbeat and a feeling of tension throughout my body. It is as if my nervous system is in a panic or threat mode after such exertion, or that with the lack of energy in my body, all my cells are screaming for more energy/oxygen and that switches on a flight response. It has taken about six hours to calm my body down this morning and release the tightness in my chest, even with deep meditative breathing (which seemed to actually make things worse).

It would be very easy for someone (a doctor) to say that this is anxiety related but I saw a good friend last night, had a calm evening and went to bed feeling content, and besides I haven't suffered from anxiety for well over a year now. For me, this is very physical and it only occurs when I am over-exerted.

Presuming that it was to do with Mitochondria and Energy, the first thing I did this morning was to have a Mito supplement drink and I am starting to feel much better. I don't believe this a is a placebo.

Has anyone experienced this horrible feeling or have any clues on the mechanisms behind it?

keenly

I have noticed over the last year that should I exert myself a bit too much (usually by just trying to increase my activity level slightly), that when I try to go to bed, I feel uptight and not restful. It takes a long time to get to sleep and I will wake up several times, but once in a blue moon (Last night Included), I will wake up with a very tight chest, strong heartbeat and a feeling of tension throughout my body. It is as if my nervous system is in a panic or threat mode after such exertion, or that with the lack of energy in my body, all my cells are screaming for more energy/oxygen and that switches on a flight response. It has taken about six hours to calm my body down this morning and release the tightness in my chest, even with deep meditative breathing (which seemed to actually make things worse).

It would be very easy for someone (a doctor) to say that this is anxiety related but I saw a good friend last night, had a calm evening and went to bed feeling content, and besides I haven't suffered from anxiety for well over a year now. For me, this is very physical and it only occurs when I am over-exerted.

Presuming that it was to do with Mitochondria and Energy, the first thing I did this morning was to have a Mito supplement drink and I am starting to feel much better. I don't believe this a is a placebo.

Has anyone experienced this horrible feeling or have any clues on the mechanisms behind it?

I have this exact problem!

I wake up in night with heart racing, then I have trouble breathing next day. Been happening since February.

PM me and I will send some stuff from Dr Cheney you may find interesting.

barbc56

Have you had a sleep study? I had similar symptoms from sleep apnea.

A Holtor monitor can also show any abnormalities.

While these conditions may not apply to you, I wouldn't delay seeing a doctor. Tightness in the chest is a symptom that needs to be evaluated as soon as possible.

If you have a mitochondria issue, it would probably take much longer than a day to see improvements. I'm not implying this is anxiety related but there could be many reasons you feel better that may or may not apply to the supplements you took.

Good luck!

Jenny TipsforME

Do you have dysautonomia or POTS type issues?

Low blood sugar when you wake up? Do you feel better when you eat something?

But yes ask a doctor. Dont be fobbed off with anxiety if you didn't feel anxious and there was nothing to be anxious about going on.

ChrisD

It only really happens for me after I have been over-exerted. I would never have it on a regular day where I have been most restful or mild activity, so I am pretty confident that it is to do with energy being zapped. But you are right @barbc56 I have had moments where I have suspected this to be sleep apnoea, could this all be linked to the gut?

I am quite young - 26 and must say that usually Mitochondrial supps work VERY quickly for me, I can tolerate D-Ribose and can really feel the additional energy within hours. @Jenny TipsforME I have some very mild POTS symptoms (slightly higher than normal increase in HR when standing up and some dizziness) and I do require breakfast to feel significantly better - so blood sugar?

Jenny TipsforME

@ChrisD the two ideas are fairly unrelated but worth trying having a snack by the bed and seeing if that resolves it. A diabetic friend has described similar when he's had low blood sugar in the night.

I've had problems with night Tachycardia to do with POTS. Now controlled with medication. I also get belt round the chest tightness with POTS and exertion. But my heart has been thoroughly checked so pretty sure it's nothing more than that.