• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chelation with Antibiotics: Experience with Multi-System Infectious Disease Syndrome (Horowitz)

Just wondering if anyone has tried both chelation and antibiotics to treat CFS or Lyme?

I was originally diagnosed with having toxic metals that needed to be removed. After a few months of chelation with no improvement, I was diagnosed with Lyme and told I need to take antibiotics -- that the reason the chelation isn't working is there is an underlying infection that needs to be addressed. Similarly, until the metals are removed the infection won't go away.

Would love to know if anyone has tried this combination of treatments, what their experience was like, or if you know anyone who has tried it you could describe and/or refer me to? This is all related to the Horowitz idea that because there are multiple causes of CFS/Lyme, we don't see people improving unless everything is treated. While this sounds like a reasonable theory, I would love to see evidence that it has worked in practice! :)

Thanks all!

ahmo

Natasha Campbell McBride, neurologist and developer of Gut and Psychology Syndrome diet (GAPS) stresses that metals and microbes are symbiotic (my term), any efforts to clear one must also consider the other. I don't have Lyme, but have taken this approach over 2 years, first focusing on metals, then focusing more on bacteria. I have used natural/herbal antibacterials, not pharma. You can see the protocol I settled on here. My earlier strategies, during the first year, are on my earlier blogs re enemas and footbaths.

As well as the antimicrobials, bone broth and juicing have been and remain basic to assisting detox. FIY here's a page of alphabetical FAQ from Campbell-McBride. Each step of the way has helped me feel better, improved function. Good luck.