• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

changes with cold virus

Tammy

I know this has been discussed before and I don't know how to explain this real good......but I am on day 4 of a cold and this morning I woke up feeling more calm than I have been in a really long time. I noticed last night also that I went to bed with a very calm feeling that is very unusual for me. It's as if there were some change like day and night happening in a good way to my brain. This may be a total fluke but I wonder if it has anything to do with certain chemicals released as a result of my cold? I know in the past sometimes I have felt better physically when I have a cold but this time my mental is noticeably different? I have not taken any cold medicines or done anything different that I can think of. Just curious if anyone has experienced this. I guess I will find out soon if this feeling lasts.

Valentijn

I know this has been discussed before and I don't know how to explain this real good......but I am on day 4 of a cold and this morning I woke up feeling more calm than I have been in a really long time. I noticed last night also that I went to bed with a very calm feeling that is very unusual for me. It's as if there were some change like day and night happening in a good way to my brain. This may be a total fluke but I wonder if it has anything to do with certain chemicals released as a result of my cold? I know in the past sometimes I have felt better physically when I have a cold but this time my mental is noticeably different? I have not taken any cold medicines or done anything different that I can think of. Just curious if anyone has experienced this. I guess I will find out soon if this feeling lasts.
I typically feel better regarding ME symptoms when I have a cold or other infection. The first month or so of my sinus infection was great, but then I just felt like crap again + with a sinus infection.

rosie26

I have had the same experience with some colds, depends on the strain of cold I think as it doesn't seem to happen with every cold.
It is strange when it happens. And does make you wonder why.

Maybe the immune system is busy dealing with the cold and so stops attacking us as it does normally with ME ?
I really don't know. Enjoy the bit of respite Tammy :)
But don't over do it too much if you are having extra energy. x

Sparrowhawk

I'm in a stage where I don't seem to catch what the kids bring home except a very light version--but I do feel worse when I'm fighting it off. So far (knock on wood) it hasn't lasted more than two days. But I know many people have said this is only a phase when the immune system is over-revved, and that later I'll catch everything in sight. Hope not!