• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chance discovery links IBD with common bacterial gut toxin

ChrisD

New research has uncovered a surprise link between a common bacterial toxin found in the gut and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).

The researchers at the John Innes Centre, Norwich, UK, working alongside a team of scientists from Brigham and Women's Hospital (Boston, USA), have helped establish a connection between microcin B17, a well-known toxin produced by E. colibacteria, and IBD.

Interesting, as ME patients, we often find parallels between gut treatment of our condition and IBS as they are often also co-morbid. But as we know, E.Coli is usually low in the ME gut microbiome.

"The bacteria that live inside us have a lot of impact on well-being and the twist here is that it's not the E. coli bacteria but the toxin that's produced by the bacteria that appears to have an effect," explains Professor Maxwell.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/jic-cdl051618.php

ljimbo423

"The bacteria that live inside us have a lot of impact on well-being and the twist here is that it's not the E. coli bacteria but the toxin that's produced by the bacteria that appears to have an effect," explains Professor Maxwell.

Thanks Chris, good post! My sister has IBD (colitis) and I will pass the info. on to her.

Several years ago I had a CDSA test done, which showed pathogenic levels of Pseudomonas Aeruginosa and severe dysbiosis in general.

Pseudomonas Aeruginosa is a very antibiotic resistant gram negative bacteria, that's commonly found in the GI tract but can overgrow if given the opportunity.

I think the many courses of antibiotics I've taken throughout my life gave the bug the perfect opportunity to overgrow. I think this happens often in many people.

They are given antibiotics, the antibiotics kill off the most vulnerable bacteria first, which are usually the "probiotic" bacteria. Leaving the more resistant pathogenic bacteria to overgrow and damage the GI tract.

Jim

ljimbo423

I don't think the importance of a healthy gut (microbiome) can be overstated.....

Abstract
The human gut microbiome impacts human brain health in numerous ways: (1) Structural bacterial components such as lipopolysaccharides provide low-grade tonic stimulation of the innate immune system.

Excessive stimulation due to bacterial dysbiosis, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, or increased intestinal permeability may produce systemic and/or central nervous system inflammation. (2) Bacterial proteins may cross-react with human antigens to stimulate dysfunctional responses of the adaptive immune system. (3) Bacterial enzymes may produce neurotoxic metabolites such as D-lactic acid and ammonia.

Even beneficial metabolites such as short-chain fatty acids may exert neurotoxicity. (4) Gut microbes can produce hormones and neurotransmitters that are identical to those produced by humans. Bacterial receptors for these hormones influence microbial growth and virulence.

(5) Gut bacteria directly stimulate afferent neurons of the enteric nervous system to send signals to the brain via the vagus nerve.

Through these varied mechanisms, gut microbes shape the architecture of sleep and stress reactivity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. They influence memory, mood, and cognition and are clinically and therapeutically relevant to a range of disorders, including alcoholism, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and restless legs syndrome.

Their role in multiple sclerosis and the neurologic manifestations of celiac disease is being studied. Nutritional tools for altering the gut microbiome therapeutically include changes in diet, probiotics, and prebiotics.
LINK

Jim

Sundancer

I'm so glad reading those things. I've had bowelproblems all my life. have been told till teenage that i should not focus on the pain. Everybody sometimes has those feelings....

yeah, but it's good that there is research now, helps me emotionally after decades of being told the pain is either not there or I should go to a psych because the cause would be in my mind.