• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cfsac day two

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It has gone very quiet... I can't watch the broadcast for tech reasons so no clue what is going on... did Cort get to do his testimony? Anything exciting happening?

Hope123

Dr. Jones brought up the issue of Blue Cross denying payment for medical appointments with the diagnosis of "CFS" in ?NY when Mayra Alvarez from the Office of Health Reform spoke. I don't think Ms. Alvarez, while seeming like a pleasant person, got it. If Blue Cross is denying for a diagnosis (vs. a treatment or MD choice, which they can still decide on per their own rules), it would set a very bad precedent for all health insurance companies. It would be like telling people with heart attacks not only which doc see you (which they already do and it's legal) but rather "we won't cover you at all." Dr. Jason has this right when his question brought this up as a discrimination (based on illness)/ civil rights issue. I don't know if Ms. Alvarez is the right person to bring this up to but I couldn't find an e-mail for her on DHHS. If anyone does, please post it.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
I'd be happy if we just got some of last years recommendations acted upon. Wouldn't have to be anything new.

My screen now says "broadcast concluded" - what? The old NIH webcasts always kept on going till the meeting ACTUALLY ended; this one seems to have simply cut off at 5PM Eastern time. I hope the archived footage will have everything included - that was a great testimony that got cut off. Somebody fire Granicus or whatever this new video contractor is called.

waiting

I just called Granicus and spoke to tech support -- he confirmed there was a problem. I asked that even if they couldn't broadcast live for some reason, could they please try to make sure it's available in the archived video afterward.

Hope123

I asked CFSAC to get another contractor next meeting or use in-house NIH videocasting.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Was anything interesting said before the big glitch? Sounds as though there was some superb testimony but of course we're the choir they're preaching to - anything new to us that would make the officials really sit up and notice?

RivkaRivka

bob did great in his testimony, and in it he says 1500+ emails have been sent. that does not include faxes and calls. WE ARE GOING STRONG AND DOING GREAT!

anciendaze

If NIH is willing to outsource so much of their support of CFSAC, why don't we switch tactics and push for outsourcing everything to do with ME/CFS? I have an organization in mind for the job.

Trooper

Ahh boo, I thought it was just my connection that was playing up - it would show a few seconds, then buffer for ages, then show a few seconds etc. It was so much better last time - I hope they can sort it out for the next one : )

I'm also super impressed with the email count - good stuff :)

George

waitin' fer rabbits
What amazed me about today was the fact that we were all kept so busy! I've never seen a CFSAC meeting like today's. They trotted out all of these nice speakers, many who had nothing to offer us at all, and just kept talking about all these "other" things completely redirecting attention from the issue of XMRV. (head shake)

So the question that I have to ask, is this an attempt to bury the research? I mean what is the point of ignoring the XMRV question so completely? If we just pretend the elephant isn't in the room will that make it disappear? This is "our" advisory committee, they have our interest at heart why all the pretending??? In the desperate attempts to buy time today would, get either get top ranking or bottom ranking I'm not sure which, as just plain crazy.

RivkaRivka

What amazed me about today was the fact that we were all kept so busy! I've never seen a CFSAC meeting like today's. They trotted out all of these nice speakers, many who had nothing to offer us at all, and just kept talking about all these "other" things completely redirecting attention from the issue of XMRV. (head shake)

So the question that I have to ask, is this an attempt to bury the research? I mean what is the point of ignoring the XMRV question so completely? If we just pretend the elephant isn't in the room will that make it disappear? This is "our" advisory committee, they have our interest at heart why all the pretending??? In the desperate attempts to buy time today would, get either get top ranking or bottom ranking I'm not sure which, as just plain crazy.

these were exactly my thoughts!!!!