• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cfs/ thryoid/ armour question

Had CFS for 15 years. I have a high tsh and low fluctuating body temperature.

Was prescribed armour (and hyrdocortisone) expecting it to help as have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism/ adrenal fatgiue.

hyrdocortisone just made me really jittery (and a low dose was useless) but armour made me really sick!!!

i was wondering if that was actually a good thing (re armour reaction)? some sort of kick starting or a system and inducing a toxin release?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Was prescribed armour (and hyrdocortisone) expecting it to help as have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism/ adrenal fatgiue.

hyrdocortisone just made me really jittery (and a low dose was useless) but armour made me really sick!!!

i was wondering if that was actually a good thing (re armour reaction)? some sort of kick starting or a system and inducing a toxin release?

What dose of Armour did you start with and what are you on now? Most docs start start it at a very low dose and work up till your tests come back normal. I take Armour and started at 7.5 mg. Now I take 30.

Best,
Sushi

JoC

Hi, I'm also on both. I started with a 1/4 grain and 10mg of hydrocortisone. I can tell you that my body was experiencing a shock the first 10 days, with terrible headaches and nausea. I expected a reaction,but not so bad. Even my generalist was surprised. However all went well after a while and my body temp went up from a 35,4C to a low but acceptable 35,8C and sometimes even 36C. Now I'm at 60mg Armour and 10mg cortisone. I'm not feeling like before, but at least I can sit outside in a T-shirt when it is 25C instead of wearing a sweater and a jacket.
The thing is that your body has to adapt to the new levels of hormones and it can take a while, but if it ain't better after a week, better go back to the doctor. It must stabilize after a while. Hope to hear that you're feeling better.:thumbsup:

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Yes, it is the dose. I take both. My saliva and blood were tested for Thyroid and cortisol. I only have low cortisol from 1-4pm. I take a VERY small amount of cortisol at noon. I take the smallest dose of Thyroid. It is good to start very low.

Carrigon

Once they reformulated Armour, I couldn't take it anymore. It made me totally sick. The generic levothyroxine junk is also horrible. I only take it now every bunch of months when I start to get bad thyroid symptoms. But it's no good. It inflames something in my lower back and legs to where I am almost crippled. And it swells up my joints. I get all kinds of problems from it.

I have a wheat allergy, and I find if I lay off some of that, I have less thyroid problems.

Iodine and non-prescription thyroid

Dr. Mark Starr says it's important to take iodine for a month before taking thyroid. At least one other person I talked to can verify that. She tried thyroid and felt like she was going to jump out of her skin. She took iodine for a month and felt better. She tried thyroid again and said she felt better than she ever felt before. She was almost in tears she was so happy/thankful.

Also you can buy thyroid as a supplement online or at a health store. I buy mine from Amazon or Vitacost. Solaray has a product but it has vitamins added. Ultra Glandulars Raw Thyroid is what I take now. It's 100% pure desiccated thyroid (from cows I think). Be careful if you buy the UGRT because they have a raw thymus product that looks very similar.

When I first started thyroid I got really, really sleepy. I would take huge power naps (3+ hours) but, here's the cool part, I would wake up feeling somewhat refreshed. As time went by I didn't go into such a deep sleep and I felt more and more rested. I did feel some strange symptoms for a little while (mostly flu-like) but they didn't last long and were nothing compared to my fatigue and pain without the thyroid. I hope that helps.

thanks for the replies guys. i started taking iodine prior to taking amour. i take a lot of vit and min. the cort was an unpleasent reaction but i found vit c helped immensely!!! i take it with mag and b vit when stressed and makes a huge difference. that and chromium.

re the thryoid. my doc prescribed me armour 32.5 mg on day one and then 65 on day two and alternate like that. i assume thats way too high!?!