• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS Research Study with Lumbar Punct - Upcoming CFS study with Dr. Baraniuk at Georgetown University

jimells

You could have antibodies acting a bit like anaesthetics - just detuning all your brain signalling so that you would feel a bit like having a dreadful hangover - or maybe still being drunk. Autonomic control could go out of the window.

This is how I feel every morning when I wake up. With a heap of POTS on top just for good measure...

Anne

leokitten said:
They do a submaximal CPET at 70% of your age adjusted maximum heart rate, so (220 - age) * 0.7.

Sorry @Valentijn and @Sidereal, he stated that even healthy people do worse on a 2-day maximal CPET. I've edited my post to correct this. Trust me I disagree with him as well.

How I wish the researchers who have an opportunity to study exercise in ME/CFS would do it properly!

It is clear from the research to date (the Snell/Stevens/van Ness and Keller papers) that a 2-day maximal test is needed for the ME/CFS specific abnormalities to show up. Why muddy the waters with sub-maximal tests (like Baraniuk) or 1-day tests (like CDC)? When you have ME/CFS patients and a CPET test going, why on earth not make sure to repeat the Snell/Stevens/van Ness and Keller protocol (and either confirm or refute their findings)?

Especially researchers getting the much sought-after NIH funding need to read up on the current knowledge and design trials very carefully, I think. We don't get many chances. Look at Fluge&Mella in Norway, they are so thorough and (in spite of being oncologists, not ME experts) so up-to-speed on current research. From my layperson perspective, they seem to be doing what everyone should be doing: using CCC, doing meticulous trial design, trying out current leads (such as the metabolic issues shown in the 2-day CPET maximal test, Stevens Protocol) in sub-studies. Isn't that the kind of research we need to get going everywhere?

- Frustrated! -

Last edited:

Helen

I am in this study. I am spending a great deal of money to participate.

I will be Facebook Live-ing my lumbar puncture, in case someone wants to watch a grown man or woman cry.
Thank you for participating. I have had three lumbar punctures and I didn´t cry , so you probably won´t either. I got local anesthesia, and I just felt the movements but no pain. I learnt that the thinnest, possible diametre of the needle is the most crucial not to cause headache. Best of luck!