• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS prevalence in Hong Kong

Jemal

So 1 in 10 Hongkongers have CFS symptoms? Sounds more like chronic fatigue than ME/CFS to me?

alex3619

China is one of the few countries that still diagnoses patients with neurasthenia, or at least did so a few years ago. One in ten is much higher prevalence than would be expected, so the claim needs to be examined very carefully.

Firestormm

So that's where she got to:

Leading CFS researcher Judy Mikovits says many subclinical CFS cases exist in the population but are not picked up in epidemiological studies. "The disorder of CFS will be harder to separate out in developing countries as it merges with many common and often chronic infections and requires expertise not likely available in such countries."
Mikovits adds: "Controlling stress; boundary setting of physical, emotional and cognitive activities; and attention to proper sleep and diet modification are the first and most important clinical steps to take. A search for the key or keys to individual cases of CFS can turn up … clinical conditions unique to that person.

"Our modern lifestyle involves far more stress than previous generations: oxidative stress in general; increased travel and exposure to different environmental toxins and pathogens from other countries; poorer nutritional value of foods; polluting elements in our environment that used to not be there."

Interesting article in general. Thanks Ember :)