• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/overtraining

@Little running man Thank you for the kind words. I will run again one day :) Even if it is just little plods around the park when the weather picks up.
Don't even get me started on the government >.< After having worked for 10 years and paid my taxes and NI contributions I had to apply three times and really fight to get disability benefits. I'd be living in poverty if it was not for my partner supporting me (he is a student bless him). But that is a whole other story.

Keep us updated with your progress :)

@Little running man yeah see how you go. For many years before my big crash I would get a few months of fatigue and then I would be ok to ramp it up again.
I guess we all have different ideas of 'resting'. For me i need to be in bed a lot and I'm unable to work at the moment. However if I did go for a run I would really bloody feel it now. Partly because I am now out of shape and conditioning and partly because of the CFS/ME. I would feel dizzy, sick, like my legs and arms are made of led. It's a very unpleasant feeling.

Also no offence was taken :) Didn't even think of it! Please don't worry. I only joined the forum today too. So I am a fellow newbie.

Phew! I thought you'd thought I was dismissing depression!! Maybe I need to think less

A couple of days for me! I'm so suprised by how many are affected and how bad it is for some! Which is really sad x

BurnA

It's sad that we get told to stay fit and exercise and when we do this happens to you! I find it annoying that after all the government literature about obesity when you are fit and need help because you're injured/ill then they are not interested. I really wish you could still run panda! It all seems such a shame. X

I feel like this too. People.talk about eating healthily and exercise etc.
Then you get ME and you see all the people eating fast food, doing no exercise and possibly smoking or taking drugs and you wonder about it all !

@Little running man Thank you for the kind words. I will run again one day :) Even if it is just little plods around the park when the weather picks up.
Don't even get me started on the government >.< After having worked for 10 years and paid my taxes and NI contributions I had to apply three times and really fight to get disability benefits. I'd be living in poverty if it was not for my partner supporting me (he is a student bless him). But that is a whole other story.

Keep us updated with your progress :)

Did you get your disability in the end? I really wish you well panda and pleased you have a caring/understanding partner. X

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Years ago (I had a physical job) plus running/cycling I always needed lots of sleep (but that could be normal) I started to have mood swings years ago and also suffered frequent urination. But that could be normal to?
It's important to figure out whether it is just frequency or polyuria. Many of us have polyuria, which means the production of excessive amounts of urine as opposed to a normal amount but greater frequency.

In the UK there is an idiotic assumption by many (most?) doctors that urine production is not related to body weight. This is wrong. Urine volume is proportional to blood volume which in turn is proportional to body weight.

Urine output should be no more than 40 ml/kg/day [1] or 50 ml/kg/day [2].

1.Ball, S. (2005) Diabetes insipidus, Medicine , vol. 33 , Issue 11 , pp.18-19, accessible online at http://www.medicinejournal.co.uk/article/S1357-3039(06)00271-4/abstract

2.Clinical Biochemistry, Metabolical and Clinical Aspects, edited by William J. Marshall, MA PhD MSc MBBS FRCP FRCPath and Stephen K. Bangert MA MSc MB BChir MRCPath, Churchill Livingstone, 1995, p.37,

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I wrote a blog post after I finished the New York Marathon which is here btw - http://www.diaryofabrokenmind.com/2...ble-illnesses-and-doing-extraordinary-things/

Thought you'd like to read it :)
I'm concerned that you don't seem to be pacing despite a diagnosis of CFS/ME.

There are quite a lot of people who have found to their cost that their health has become considerably worse as a result of continuing to push themselves.

The fibromyalgia diagnosis does add some complication, however, as there is some research which shows that this does respond favourably to exercise/exertion - not sure how good the research is (a lot of research is of very poor quality).

I see that you recommend AfME. They have a pretty poor reputation on this site. I used to be a member, but lost any confidence I had in them and terminated my membership this year.

It's important to figure out whether it is just frequency or polyuria. Many of us have polyuria, which means the production of excessive amounts of urine as opposed to a normal amount but greater frequency.

In the UK there is an idiotic assumption by many (most?) doctors that urine production is not related to body weight. This is wrong. Urine volume is proportional to blood volume which in turn is proportional to body weight.

Urine output should be no more than 40 ml/kg/day [1] or 50 ml/kg/day [2].

1.Ball, S. (2005) Diabetes insipidus, Medicine , vol. 33 , Issue 11 , pp.18-19, accessible online at http://www.medicinejournal.co.uk/article/S1357-3039(06)00271-4/abstract

2.Clinical Biochemistry, Metabolical and Clinical Aspects, edited by William J. Marshall, MA PhD MSc MBBS FRCP FRCPath and Stephen K. Bangert MA MSc MB BChir MRCPath, Churchill Livingstone, 1995, p.37,

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=bhP4XLBEHtcC&pg=PA37&lpg=PA37&dq=polyuria 50ml&source=web&ots=QA1nyGB8P3&sig=Ibzj_EthzUh482jcurMJEGqcqq0&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result

I drink far to little fun I'm honest especially when training but even with tablets I still pee way to much/often I'm normally between 60-63 kg at the mo I'm probably 65kg 167cm tall

I see that you recommend AfME. They have a pretty poor reputation on this site. I used to be a member, but lost any confidence I had in them and terminated my membership this year.
Could you elaborate? As I am new to this I just reached out to the main charity I could find and it was useful to see what CFS/ME was.

Mel9

They suggested I was over training too. However I had been having periods of sever pain and fatigue over the previous years. I'd also reduced my training as it was coming to winter before the marathon and was only running three times a week so a low amount for me and I felt really well! Untill that dreaded week.

I pushed through with my full time job thinking the Christmas break would leave me feeling refreshed. But it didn't. By mid February this year I had about 10 weeks off (where I slept up to 20 hours a week) and then did a phased return to work. But by the time I was back up to full time I was taking days off during the week sick. I literally slept and worked. Would get home from work. Sleep. Get up. Eat. Sleep. Get up and go to work. And repeat. Including sleeping at work!

I ended up having to leave my job at the end of August.

I now don't work because I am not well enough. So I am trying to focus on my physical and mental wellbeing. Doing very gentle walks and yoga a couple of times a week. I also have a lot of days where I still can't get out of bed. Im waiting for my referral to the CFS ME clinic to go through at the moment so I'm in limbo at the moment. I get pretty bad pain as well (fybromyalgia) so I take pain killers. Anyway. You are not alone :)

This is similar to my story except I am also Lymepositive. I was lucky that I learnt from PR not to overdo the physical work so I stopped all running and gym

I can now work, sitting in front of a computer writing, as long as I go home at lunchtime for a sleep

Sleep, breakfast, sleep, drive to work, wprk, drive home, sleep, drive to work, work drive home and sleep, eat , go to bed

Not much time left over for anything else
But I do love my work

I still dream of running

alex3619

I still dream of running
I used to get regular running dreams, long before Forrest Gump was on the scene, and after I lost my capacity to exercise safely. Sadly the closest I get now, since I can struggle to even walk across a room, is running in computer games.

Being able to run again is high on my wish list. Not at the top, but close.