• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS and FM following immunization with the hepatitis B vaccine (autoimmunity paper)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Edit: I didn't realise there was already a thread on this o_O so please ignore this one and go here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-hepatitis-b-vaccine.34067/page-2#post-528798

From today's MEA weekly research round-up:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...published-research-abstracts-5-december-2014/

ME Association said:
From Immunologic Research, 27 November 2014 2014 [Epub ahead of print].

Chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia following immunization with the hepatitis B vaccine: another angle of the ‘autoimmune (auto-inflammatory) syndrome induced by adjuvants’ (ASIA).

Agmon-Levin N, Zafrir Y, Kivity S, Balofsky A, Amital H, Shoenfeld Y.
The Zabludowicz Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, 52621, Tel-Hashomer, Israel.

Abstract

The objectives of this study were to gather information regarding demographic and clinical characteristics of patients diagnosed with either fibromyalgia (FM) or chronic fatigue (CFS) following hepatitis B vaccination (HBVv) and furthermore to apply the recently suggested criteria of autoimmune (auto-inflammatory) syndromes induced by adjuvants (ASIA), in the aim of identifying common characteristics that may suggest an association between fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and HBV vaccination.

Medical records of 19 patients with CFS and/or fibromyalgia following HBVv immunization were analyzed. All of which were immunized during 1990-2008 in different centers in the USA. All medical records were evaluated for demographics, medical history, the number of vaccine doses, as well as immediate and long term post-immunization adverse events and clinical manifestations.

In addition, available blood tests, imaging results, treatments and outcomes were analyzed. ASIA criteria were applied to all patients.

The mean age of patients was 28.6 ± 11 years, of which 68.4 % were females. 21.05 % had either personal or familial background of autoimmune disease. The mean latency period from the last dose of HBVv to onset of symptoms was 38.6 ± 79.4 days, ranging from days to a year.

Eight (42.1 %) patients continued with the immunization programdespite experiencing adverse events.

Manifestations that were commonly reported included neurological manifestations (84.2 %), musculoskeletal (78.9 %), psychiatric (63.1 %), fatigue (63.1 %), gastrointestinal complainrs (58 %) and mucocutaneous manifestations (36.8 %). Autoantibodies were detected in 71 % of patients tested. All
patients fulfilled the ASIA criteria.

This study suggests that in some cases CFS and FM can be temporally related to immunization, as part of ASIA syndrome. The appearance of adverse event during immunization, the presence of autoimmune susceptibility and higher titers of autoantibodies all can be suggested as risk factors. ASIA criteria
were fulfilled in all patients eluding the plausible link between ASIA and CFS/FM.

Well over my head.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
...and on the same webpage:

ME Assocation said:
From The Journal of Autoimmunity, article accepted 13 October 2013. Link takes reader to full text.

Review

Autoimmune/inflammatory syndrome induced by adjuvants (ASIA) 2013: Unveiling the pathogenic, clinical and diagnostic aspects

Carlo Perricone (a,b), Serena Colafrancesco (a,b), Roei D. Mazor (a), Alessandra Soriano (a,c), Nancy Agmon-Levin (a), Yehuda Shoenfeld (a,d,*)
a) The Zabludowicz Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Sheba Medical Center, Tel-Hashomer, Israel
b) Reumatologia, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialità Mediche, )Sapienza Università di Roma, Rome, Italy
c) Department of Clinical Medicine and Rheumatology, University Campus Bio-Medico of Rome, Italy
d) Incumbent of the Laura Schwarz-Kipp Chair for Research of Autoimmune Diseases, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University, Israel

Abstract

In 2011 a new syndrome termed ‘ASIA Autoimmune/Inflammatory Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants’ was defined pointing to summarize for the first time the spectrum of immune-mediated diseases triggered by an adjuvant stimulus such as chronic exposure to silicone, tetramethylpentadecane, pristane, aluminum and other adjuvants, as well as infectious components, that also may have an adjuvant effect.

All these environmental factors have been found to induce autoimmunity by themselves both in animal models and in humans: for instance, silicone was associated with siliconosis, aluminum hydroxide with postvaccination phenomena and macrophagic myofasciitis syndrome.

Several mechanisms have been hypothesized to be involved in the onset of adjuvant-induced autoimmunity; a genetic favorable background plays a key role in the appearance on such vaccine-related diseases and also justifies the rarity of these phenomena.

This paper will focus on protean facets which are part of ASIA, focusing on the roles and mechanisms of action of different adjuvants which lead to the autoimmune/inflammatory response. The data herein illustrate the critical role of environmental factors in the induction of autoimmunity. Indeed, it is the interplay of genetic susceptibility and environment that is the major player for the initiation of breach of tolerance.

taniaaust1

Thanks for posting this. In my case of ME I wonder if Hep B vaccine was involved. I got ME while I was at Naturopathy collage and before this (while I was at collage and also earlier too), I'd had multiple Hep B vaccines which wouldnt take so I had more then most. So got ME the same year or the year after having my last Hep B vaccine.

Last edited:

Bob

I think this paper has a similar theme as well...

Vaccines and the Risk of Multiple Sclerosis and Other Central Nervous System Demyelinating Diseases
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/vaccines-raise-ms-risk-jama-oct-2014.34185/
The short-term increase in risk suggests that vaccines may accelerate the transition from subclinical to overt autoimmunity in patients with existing disease. Our findings support clinical anecdotes of CNS ADS symptom onset shortly after vaccination but do not suggest a need for a change in vaccine policy.