• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS and dogs barking, the telephone, neighbor's loud music, ect........

Derek Conklin

It's strange but I am sensitive to some noises and not others..........you would think if one has noise sensitivity it would be to everything. I can hear the train from where I live and that doesn't bother me but if I hear a car idling outside...........it annoys me to no end. Neighbors music drives me crazy........dogs barking drives me crazy. I have called public safety so many times for neighbors music and it finally paid off. I have also called numerous times for dogs barking and have even sent anonomyous letters to neighbors of the barking dogs............they get fined if problem continues. My last neighbor would wake up up around 5:00 in the a.m. go out to his diesel truck and let it run forever before he headed out to work. The parking lot of course was right outside my bedroom window. I finally made up a story and wrote him a note that the fumes of his truck came right through my bedroom window and was making me sick............I didn't think he would take me seriously if I told him it was the noise as of course no one else was bothered by it. A friend of mine gave me one of his nature noises machines but even that drives me nuts. I think I would be comfortable if had my bed and lived in a cave!
Thank you Tammy for your story and reply! I Love the idea of having our bed in our very own cave!:):thumbsup::)

Derek Conklin

Thankfully my sensitivity is much less than it was. It never occurred to me to get/use ear muffs. Next time I'm in the vicinity of DIY store, I'll be check them out. Leaf blowers, lawnmowers, whipper snippers, chain saws...:aghhh:

@Derek Conklin when I was at my worst, hypothalamus glandular helped me a lot. It dampened my sensitivity to heat, sound, light. (Nutricology, from iherb)

Here's a current thread re nitric oxide and environmental stresses. I've been following Martin Pall's suggestions to reduce peroxynitrite due to (oxidative) stress: lot's of antioxidants. I've finally discovered that green tea is an excellent antioxidant. I'm also using resveratrol, astaxanthin, + the more familiar A,C, E. My A is in the form of lot's of carrots, strangely. This strategy has been helping < my edginess.

It's taken me a long time to be able to understand Pall's theory, but useful. There's a link to his site and vid in my signature. The site's currently a dead link, weirdly, but the vid has slides, so you can stop/start it. The last 20" lists antioxidant supps.

:lol:I've found over these years that I is the only thing I can talk about. and I used to accuse my DH of narcisism :p
Thank you very much, sounds promising!

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek Conklin

Yes,one of the curses of this illness is the hypersensitivity to noise. Our neighbors hate us because we have had to call the law on them for playing loud bassy music anytime they feel like it. There are also heavy, rumbling construction vehicles that pick our street to roll down early in the morning, shrieking kids in the park across from us, and loud weed whackers, lawn mowers, you name it! We recently signed a petition against this kind of noise because really life is getting far too stressful to be enjoyed. In the meantime I use white noise, earplugs and try listening to soft music.
Thank you so much!!!

Derek Conklin

I think u have to control and never rely on plp not to be loud.
1) I am never without confortable earplugs. I always keep a pair w me at all times. Everyday I sleep w them.
2) I always keep an eye blackout mask with me so I control the light too.
3) I keep pillow and blanket in my car so when I get tired I can always lay down no matter where I am.

The point I am trying to make, you have to make sure you control the environment at all times so the environment never affects your energy level.
Thank you for your help!

Derek Conklin

i am noise sensitive. What drives me nuts is the elephant-like walking of my neighbor upstairs. The kids screams (like a 5year old girl scream if you know whatI mean) (it goes up and down my spine). People chewing. Traffic noise. Harley's speeding up the hill (I keep my windows shut) i can't talk to someone with the radio on or Tv on.

I do my best to avoid noise but it's not always possible. Earplugs can work, if you focus on relaxing and listening to your breathing ( aim for a regular, slow breathing, use that to calm yourself down). i bought some industrial ear protectors ( construction workers would use them) if i have to be in a public place and can't handle the noise. It's helped me many times
Thank you very much!!!

Derek Conklin

I've cut my foam earplugs so they have a rounder backside and don't cut into the sides of my ear.

I also have humongous ear mufflers, bought at the DIY store (store with building supplies). They are for people who work with heavy machinery and drills and saws and what not. Kati mentions the same: industrial ear protectors.

I actually went there and tried them all on until I found a brand that sat comfortable. We are sensitive people and small details matter. Of course they were the expensive ones. They've served me for 7 years now. Worth every penny.
Cheap ones will sit awful. Internet bought ones were terrible too. But order them anyway and see if you send them back if they don't sit right. Or just view the money spend on the bad ones as a means to find the right one. They are very much worth any price! I don't see you going to the store to try them out so order a few expensive ones online from a construction supply company. This is my strong advice. Ear mufflers will save your sanity.

I wear them each day for a bit. And let my body relax. Listen to my heart beating, the blood rushing by like it's the wind in tree tops. In 20 minutes my ears will get squashed or start to get sweaty. But that's 20 minutes of bliss and reminding that upbeat anxiety from noise is not the natural state of my body.

I'm sorry, there is no way you can talk your body into relaxing when there are these noises. You have to shut them out. Especially deep rumbling ones (diesel engines, generators, refridgerator, computer fans, heavy traffic)

I've gotten better healthwise and am more resilient towards noise now. I would not have believed it possible. But it started all with good ear mufflers. (and I still need them daily).

:confused: I have started each paragraph of this post with "I". I must be important :alien: :cautious: :D
hope you get something from this. Noise is terrible. It keeps reinforcing the stress reaction your body is looped in at the moment. Go buy mufflers.
Thank you for your reply and help! Yes I will get some muffs!

perchance dreamer

Sometimes in the morning I even get irritated at birds singing when I'm trying to get back to sleep. That's truly grinchly. I'm not proud of this.

Once when I was small, I heard a door open in the wee hours of the morning. I looked out my window, and there was my mother in her billowing white nightgown, throwing a broom up into a tree to shut up a mockingbird that had been relentlessly singing for hours. Maybe I inherited my grinchly tendencies.

Derek Conklin

Sometimes in the morning I even get irritated at birds singing when I'm trying to get back to sleep. That's truly grinchly. I'm not proud of this.

Once when I was small, I heard a door open in the wee hours of the morning. I looked out my window, and there was my mother in her billowing white nightgown, throwing a broom up into a tree to shut up a mockingbird that had been relentlessly singing for hours. Maybe I inherited my grinchly tendencies.
Thank you for sharing. That made me giggle!! :) :bouquet: