• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS and bone mineral density?

Is there a causal link between CFS and decreased bone mineral density? I mean surely there is selection bias because many that have CFS are female and near menopausal age and thus have reduced BMD either way?

Arugemtns against lowerin BMD would be lower cortisol, some lower cytokines...

Any thoughts? i didnt find any studies

PennyIA

For me? I have issues absorbing Vitamin D (needed for calcium absorption) and issues with Magnesium (intolerant of all supplements, though am depleted - thankfully epsom salt baths seem tolerable) along with Lactose intolerance.

I'd think we'd have to screen out anyone with issues like mine from any type of measure because otherwise you conflate any possible correlation as a result of these unrelated reasons.

boombachi

Impact exercise is supposed to help maintain bone density. Since we can't exercise to the level needed for these benefits I would expect to find lower than average bone density in cfs