• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFIDS Movie: The Wedding Gift

starryeyes

Martlet mentioned a movie about CFS in the SW thread. It's called Wide Eyed And Legless in the UK and it's known in the USA as The Wedding Gift. I ordered it from Netflix and just watched it. It was a good movie. It was made in 1994 and is based on a true story that took place in the UK in I think 1984. It did a good job in the beginning showing how atrociously ME patients are treated in the UK. I had no idea you weren't even allowed to see your own medical files there. Is that still true?

It was only a one kleenex movie for me which surprised me. I didn't cry much until the end when the epilogue showed on the screen and said:

Because of exposure like this and the efforts of the medical community, major breakthroughs in treatment are now becoming available.
This was in 1994. :cool: Wah!

Thank you for letting us know about this film, Martlet. I'm surprised I had never heard of it before. The Reviews at Netflix are favorable for it as well.

I sure wish someone would make more documentaries about ME/CFS and how it impacts lives all over the world. I really thought there would be quite a few new ones by now. Well, at least we have YouTube.

joyscobby

Medical Files Can See Now

Back then you did not have a right to see your medical files. I do know but cannot remember when it changed or under what law but I think it maybe The Data Protection Act but don't quote me on that.

If you can decifer the writting, short hand and medical jargon it can be an interesting read. Especialy the old pre being able to see it stuff. Doctors are a lot more careful in what they write nowadays and it is all done on computers of course.

A friend of mine once read hers back in the day and it was noted that she died her hair not relevant to her condition but a character judgement.
Another who was a nurse back in the 60's told me that BU on a medical note was short hand for black under wear and therefore the women was of loose morals and more than likely a prostitute.

I have looked at mine but the handwritting was so bad it was hard to read.

Doing a online DVD xmas shop wil put that in for myself thanks.

flybro

The Wedding Gift

On you tube

Heres part one, they're all there I watched them. Made me laugh and cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8qMSFIZxK8

Well worth watching, I wonder Derrek & The Novelist are now. Would they are consider helping to contact the original producers and actors to help us now.

It's such a lovely moving film. & Tells the story we all know.

starryeyes

joyscobby, I'm glad you can see your own medical files now. Legible handwriting or typing is an important factor. The docs sure sound like they were judgmental in the '60s. I'm sure they still are but maybe not as bad as they were.

Hey flybro, that's cool you found The Wedding Gift on YouTube.