• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cerefolin NAC

Has anyone tried Cerefolin NAC? When I went to the doctor this past Fall, my doctor gave me samples of it to see if it helped me. He said there's no guarantees it will, and that since there's really no long term research, there's not much known about what it can/can't do in the long run. I only took it for 2 weeks (that's how long the samples were for and my doctor said it would take to see a difference), and due to the lack of significant difference, decided it probably wasn't worth paying the hefty price to continue with it. I'm still intrigued by it and the science behind it, and was wondering if anyone else tried it, and if so, what was your experience with it/what did you think about it.

Valentijn

A lot of people here take vitamins and supplements that have the same ingredients as Cerefolin NAC. One use for them is to reduce elevated homocysteine levels, which might not produce symptoms but is associated with long-term problems.

I do something somewhat similar. I take 40mg/day of hydroxyB12, which might have additional benefits that the methylB12 in Cerefolin doesn't, since hydroxyB12 an antioxidant in addition to being a vitamin.

I do a "normal"-ish dose of active folate, (the Cerefolin dose is much much higher), and folate is also useful in many biochemical processes. Most OTC folate is sold in the form of folic acid, which could be less useful and even problematic for some people.

I take 1800mg per day of NAC, which has gotten rid of my brain trying to fry itself in a "wired but tired" way, and also resolves my sleeping problems when I take the last dose right before bed. NAC probably has this effect due to lowering levels of the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, which it does by combining with it (and glycine) to form glutathione, which is a very useful substance to have more of and has been shown to be depleted in ME/CFS patients.

If you want to try it again, but without the high price, you can buy the components individually in a store or online, and tweak the doses to see what works for you. Though you won't be able to get high dose folate that way.