• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Central Sensitization Syndrome

Valentijn

It seems to be the total opposite of the situation in Canada b/c if Mayo is using this model, they must have something to back it up (I am not defending them in any way, it is despicable) I am just saying that legally they must have something to back it up.
Someone says "blah", so Mayo can repeat "blah". It doesn't have to be good research, or even any research at all backing it up.

Mayo has been a horrible source of ME/CFS info for a long time. In the past, they've encouraged ME/CFS patients to check themselves into their psychiatric ward when tests came back negative.

Gingergrrl

Someone says "blah", so Mayo can repeat "blah". It doesn't have to be good research, or even any research at all backing it up.

Mayo has been a horrible source of ME/CFS info for a long time. In the past, they've encouraged ME/CFS patients to check themselves into their psychiatric ward when tests came back negative.

I totally get it that Mayo Clinic is crap for ME/CFS and have zero toleration for the nonsense they are passing off as treatment. I just wondered from a legal "cover your ass" kind of perspective if they had any research backing up their new CSS protocols?

Effi

I am just wondering if this is really such a bad thing, given the circumstances.
After all, at least central sensitization is a proposed physical basis for diseases like ME/CFS and IBS, which is a vast improvement on somatization, which posits that ME/CFS, IBS, etc is caused by psychological issues — psychological issues that somehow mysteriously transform into physical symptoms.
My concern with central sensitivity syndrome would be that if it is grounded in the biopsychosocial model (which includes psychological factors), irrespective of how doctors actually treat CSS diseases, insurance companies may still refuse disability payments, because they can claim there is a psychological component.
CSS, as used to relabel MUS, is full blown BPS. They don't call it psychological, because they know that won't hold up anymore. But they still treat it as if it were. CSS means that your body gives you a pain response when there is no reason for it. So it is a faulty response. They're not saying it's your own fault, but they do say that you can retrain yourself. We all know that's impossible because we've all tried it.

The biggest flaw of all BPS models we've seen so far is their starting point: absence of proof equals proof of absence. "The pain patients 'feel' (note the quotation marks - they use those a lot) is not actual pain because there is no tissue damage. So the problem must be in a faulty response. We've seen this in mice models - the more pain stimuli we give them, the more exaggerated their pain response will become. So we'll just turn it around to say: people who experience pain have an exaggerated pain response. They must! There is no other explanation!" There are so many flaws in this logic that I don't even know where to start. Maybe I'll add that they use a model for pain, but exchange pain for anything they can't measure: fatigue, light sensitivity, food intolerance, etc.

The only difference between the former BPS model and CSS is that CSS sounds slightly more scientific and physical. We're talking about a LOT of people's careers on the line here. They've built their entire life's work around BPS, so it's probably only natural they're trying to save their livelihood. There is also strong campaigning and promotion, they usually take their show on the road (literally) to repeat repeat repeat til it sticks and they make it look so attractive it's hard to say no to it. This is just a shiny new theoretical cover to hide all inexplicable illnesses under. It is dangerous on so many levels.

jimells

Similarly, treatments for IBS are different to treatments for ME/CFS, so a doctor cannot just give you a generic CSS diagnosis, but will need to diagnose and treat the particular CSS disease you have.

I have had "IBS-like" gut problems for nearly ten years. The only "treatment" ever offered to me is a colonoscopy. I've had to work out a management strategy completely on my own. Similarly I have received the same non-treatment for ME.

In my experience, doctors pay little attention to the details of disease criteria. They do not use a Fukuda criteria checklist, for example. Few even bother with the standard depression screening checklists that patients fill out.

It sure seems to me that if a patient sorta fits the doctor's idea of a particular illness looks like, well that's close enough. "CSS" is vague enough to encompass lots of problems that doctors don't really want to deal with, especially if they can "solve" the problem by sending the patient to some generic pain/fatigue/CBT clinic.

adreno

PR activist
In my experience, doctors pay little attention to the details ofdisease criteria.
I think this is one of the main problems with the CSS model, namely that it doesn't distinguish well between the symptom picture of different syndromes. It doesn't explain why the same mechanism can give rise to as different syndromes as ME, FM, IBS, PTSD aso.

Rather than being a causal mechanism, it is more likely to be an aspect of different syndromes/diseases. But the BPS school will attempt to sell it as much more than this.

jimells

But the originator of CSS, Muhammad Yunus, found it awful that fibromyalgia was considered to be an "all in the mind" condition, and is very pleased that there are now FDA approved drugs to treat fibromyalgia, and that fibromyalgia is now taken more seriously (see article above).

My impression, which may well be incorrect, is that the FDA approved pre-existing drugs for fibromyalgia before the illness became "real". It was only about two years ago that the CBC Radio program "White Coat Black Art" revealed that doctors in Canada regularly referred to fibromyalgia as "faker-myalgia".

My former partner has suffered from fibromyalgia for many years, and I can tell you that she was not treated well either.

jimells

We can expect to see much more about "CSS" in the near future. This article from 2007 has already been cited by 35 PubMed Central articles.

Meeus & Nijs said:
Central sensitization: a biopsychosocial explanation for chronic widespread pain in patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Meeus M1, Nijs J.

Abstract

In addition to the debilitating fatigue, the majority of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) experience chronic widespread pain. These pain complaints show the greatest overlap between CFS and fibromyalgia (FM).

Although the literature provides evidence for central sensitization as cause for the musculoskeletal pain in FM, in CFS this evidence is currently lacking, despite the observed similarities in both diseases. The knowledge concerning the physiological mechanism of central sensitization, the pathophysiology and the pain processing in FM, and the knowledge on the pathophysiology of CFS lead to the hypothesis that central sensitization is also responsible for the sustaining pain complaints in CFS.

This hypothesis is based on the hyperalgesia and allodynia reported in CFS, on the elevated concentrations of nitric oxide presented in the blood of CFS patients, on the typical personality styles seen in CFS and on the brain abnormalities shown on brain images.

To examine the present hypothesis more research is required. Further investigations could use similar protocols to those already used in studies on pain in FM like, for example, studies on temporal summation, spatial summation, the role of psychosocial aspects in chronic pain, etc.

I don't have the energy and fortitude to read the entire article. My overall impression is that since lots of "CFS" patients report pain, then it must be a "pain illness", and since fibromyalgia is a "central sensitization pain illness" with some symptoms similar to "CFS", then "CFS" must be "central sensitization pain illness" as well. They admit to no evidence, but apparently evidence is not required when formulating theories. :bang-head:

What does "typical personality styles" have to do with "central sensitization"?

The article said:
Certain cognitive styles and personality traits have been associated with amplification of pain and its extension in the absence of tissue damage. These include somatization, catastrophizing, and hypervigilance [4952],

49. Waddell G, Newton M, Henderson I, Somerville D, Main CJ (1993) A Fear-Avoidance Beliefs Questionnaire (FABQ) and the role of fear-avoidance beliefs in chronic low back pain and disability. Pain 52:157–168 [PubMed]

50. Vlaeyen JW, Crombez G (1999) Fear of movement/(re)injury, avoidance and pain disability in chronic low back pain patients. Man Ther 4:187–195 [PubMed]

51. Vlaeyen JW, Linton SJ (2000) Fear-avoidance and its consequences in chronic musculoskeletal pain: a state of the art. Pain 85:317–332 [PubMed]

52. Turner JA, Jensen MP, Romano JM (2000) Do beliefs, coping, and catastrophizing independently predict functioning in patients with chronic pain? Pain 85:115–125 [PubMed]

It will come as no surprise that the article is full of references to the usual psychobabble suspects and their dodgy research.

jimells

It's fine to speculate. It's not fine to never test the hypothesis properly and act as if it was true. Hypotheses that can't be tested properly have no value and belong to philosophy rather than science.

What I find so disturbing is that so many other articles are citing this theory. I have to wonder, at what point does a theory become accepted as "fact" simply by the process of endless repetition and citation?

jimells

"Central Sensitization" strikes me as being a little faddish. Here it is the cause of "chronic fatigue":

Tanaka et al said:
(from 2013)
Neural mechanisms underlying chronic fatigue.
Tanaka M, Ishii A, Watanabe Y.
Abstract
Fatigue is .... Acute fatigue is a normal condition that disappears after a period of rest; in contrast, chronic fatigue does not disappear after an ordinary rest.
[snip]
Here, we review data primarily from behavioral, neurophysiological, and neuroimaging experiments related to the neural mechanisms underlying chronic fatigue. We propose that repetitive and prolonged overwork and/or stress cause neural damage of a facilitation system, as well as central sensitization and classical conditioning of an inhibition system. We also propose a new treatment strategy for chronic fatigue on the basis of its underlying neural mechanisms.

Apparently one has to buy the journal in order to reveal the new treatment strategy. But I'll bet it's the same magic cure Tanaka proposed in 2010, which I guess he had trouble selling, so he jumped on the "central sensitization" bandwagon.

A new hypothesis of chronic fatigue syndrome: co-conditioning theory.
Tanaka M1, Watanabe Y.

Abstract
Chronic fatigue syndrome is an illness characterized by a profound, disabling, and unexplained sensation of fatigue lasting at least 6 months...

Many potential causes of chronic fatigue syndrome have been investigated, including viral infections, immune dysfunctions, abnormal neuroendocrine responses, central nervous system abnormalities, autonomic dysfunctions, impaired exercise capacities, sleep disruptions, genetic backgrounds, psychiatric abnormalities, personality, and abnormal psychological processes.

However, no etiology, specific physical signs or laboratory test abnormalities have been found. It is essential to establish a conceptual theory of chronic fatigue syndrome that can explain its pathophysiology in order to identify the clinical entity and to develop effective treatment methods.

In this article, a new conceptual hypothesis about the pathophysiology of chronic fatigue syndrome, the co-conditioning theory, is presented: after repetitive overwork and/or stress, alarm signal to rest and fatigue sensation may cause in response to an unconditioned stimulus (impaired homeostasis and function) that has been paired with a conditioned stimulus (overwork and/or stress).

In the future, a new treatment strategy for patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, re-co-conditioning therapy, may be developed on the basis of the co-conditioning theory. In addition, this theory will likely contribute to a better understanding of the pathophysiology of chronic fatigue syndrome.

I read this and double-checked to see if I was actually reading The Onion. I have a feeling re-co-conditioning therapy is not going to be a best seller. :rolleyes:

And I really like how the author predicts his new theory will change the world...

Hip

We don't know that they "Reduce central sensitisation". We know that they have positive psychiatric effects (on mood or other symptoms) and this leads to a change in how people rate their level of pain on self-report questionnaires.

The rest is just speculation.

Yes, those drugs are tested by observing the patient's reduced pain response, etc, so I agree it is not a direct measure of the drug's ability to reduce central sensitization.

In my mind, a simple model of how central sensitization might occur is by too much NMDA receptor activation on neurons, or too little GABA receptor activation. This is because NMDA activation turns up the sensitivity of neurons, and GABA activation turns the sensitivity down.

Dr Paul Cheney has long proposed that in ME/CFS, neurons are oversensitive to firing because their NMDA receptors more activated than their GABA receptors. High NMDA activation, as well as low GABA activation, lowers a neuron's threshold for firing, thus making neurons more sensitive to stimuli.

Dr Cheney uses benzodiazepines to treat the oversensitive neurons in ME/CFS. Ref: 1

High dose transdermal magnesium, which many ME/CFS patients find useful, likely works because it is a potent NMDA receptor inhibitor, and so will reduce oversensitivity of neurons.

I have never heard any objections to Dr Cheney's view and treatment on oversensitive neurons in ME/CFS, and I have never heard any objections to Dr Jay Goldstein's concept of neurosomatic disorders. They are very similar ideas to central sensitization.

I am going to agree that we disagree on this subject matter of using psych meds to treat Fibromyalgia. Per your profile, I am glad you are having success with Amisulpride which Wikipedia says is " atypical antipsychotic used to treat psychosis in schizophrenia and episodes of mania in bipolar disorder"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amisulpride

The sort of argument that "if you use an antidepressant, it must be a mental treatment" tends to come from those with not much knowledge of biochemistry. Drugs can have many effects and uses other than the main use for which they are labelled. Dr Chia for example is using Prozac on ME/CFS patients because this antidepressant has antiviral effects against enteroviruses.

How do you provide evidence that something (CSS) doesn't exist? It's incumbent upon them to prove the model, but they haven't and they aren't even trying.

Certainly a theory of the mechanism of CSS must be set up in such a way that it can be falsified or verified. If there is no possibility of falsifying or verifying an idea, then it is not a scientific theory.

I agree that there does seem to be little research on central sensitization, especially given that it is proposed to occur in a wide range of diseases.

Which makes you wonder how seriously central sensitization is actually taken as a scientific idea. Seems like the researchers are a bit lazy.

Then again, none of us here have bothered to read up about the detailed mechanisms of central sensitization. I tried to read one complex paper, but I am a bit brain dead in recent days.

CSS, as used to relabel MUS, is full blown BPS.

It may well be the case that the Wessely and the somatoform brigade try to hijack CSS and turn it into another "all in the mind" etiology. I can definitely see there is a danger of that.

However, the originator of CSS, Prof Yunus, developed this concept to try to counter the views that ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, IBS, etc were "all in the mind".

Rather than being a causal mechanism, it is more likely to be an aspect of different syndromes/diseases. But the BPS school will attempt to sell it as much more than this.

I agree. It's more likely to be an aspect of ME/CFS and related diseases, rather than an explanation of the full picture. CSS may potentially be the cause of some of the symptoms in ME/CFS, but other ME/CFS symptoms may have a different etiological basis.

And CSS itself may not be the first cause of ME/CFS, but a downstream effect (which then causes its own symptoms). As part of the pathophysiology of ME/CFS, CSS itself might for example be caused by a viral infection in the brain, which then increases neuronal sensitivity by an inflammatory mechanism (inflammation in the brain pumps out lots of extracellular glutamate).

@Daffodil and @lizw118 had almost full remission from brain fog etc a day or two after taking Rocephin, an antibiotic drug which significantly ramps up glutamate clearance from the brain, thereby likely reducing neuronal oversensitivity. See here: Rocephin shots

So the glutamate / neuronal oversensitivity theory should not be dismissed out of hand.

But I do think it is premature to label ME/CFS and related diseases as CSS.

Last edited:

jimells

Which makes you wonder how seriously central sensitization is actually taken as a scientific idea. Seems like the researchers are a bit lazy.

I don't take it seriously for our illness because it is an opaque black box being used to justify treatments that don't work or don't even exist, like the ridiculous "re-co-conditioning therapy".

jimells

It may well be the case that the Wessely and somatoform brigade try to hijack CSS and turn it into another "all in the mind" etiology. I can definitely see there is a danger of that.

However, the originator of CSS, Prof Yunus, developed this concept to try to counter the views that ME/CFS, fibromyalgia, IBS, etc were "all in the mind".

The psychobabblers are ever ready to hijack anything they can twist to support their junk science. It would certainly be ironic if Prof Yunus' ideas are turned around to harm us

Daffodil

@Hip no no no! i did not have remission from Brain fog a day or 2 after starting Rocephin. The improvement began 2 weeks into the treatment I think....and continued from there. Maybe even 3 weeks..I cannot remember. I only took it for 4 weeks due to SEVERE diarrhea.

One researcher speculated that it might be because it just killed off all the leaky gut -related bacteria since the drug is wide spectrum

Effi

It may well be the case that the Wessely and the somatoform brigade try to hijack CSS and turn it into another "all in the mind" etiology. I can definitely see there is a danger of that.

They are indeed hijacking this concept to redress it to suit their own agenda, as per usual. Without wanting to bash Prof Yunus' initial concept, the only people I have seen talking about it are BPS. And especially starting from the moment that they saw their former theory collapse in practice and were shut down. It's another desperate attempt to carry on cashing in on very sick patients.

Groggy Doggy

@Hip

The whole idea behind getting more research dollars behind ME is because there has not been enough research. We don't know enough to draw any conclusions about the different types of ME, how each type got sick, how to treat each type, and how to avoid a relapse. Researchers are working on theories. I totally agree that drugs can be repurposed.

I personally have no interest in taking antidepressants or drugs that treat Schizophrenia or mood disorders (for their primary purpose or repurposed for researching theories). But I see that you have reported success in using one. I am happy that anyone (including you) can find a protocol that works for them (drugs/herbs/meditation/vitamins/diet). I feel you are pushing your theories as fact since for example you stated "because this antidepressant [Prozac] has antiviral effects against enteroviruses". I would respond more positively if the postings read "some research has shown promise that Prozac has antiviral effects".

So that's my two cents and I hope you don't take my opinions personally. And yes, I am not a biochemistry expert, nor do I claim to be.

Hip

The psychobabblers are ever ready to hijack anything they can twist to support their junk science. It would certainly be ironic if Prof Yunus' ideas are turned around to harm us

If this hijack starts to or continues to happen, then we need to counter with a robust response. But I think this will require understanding of the subject matter.

I only briefly came across central sensitization once before, so I know very little about it. I'd never even heard of Prof Yunus before doing some Googling as a result of this thread.

@Hip no no no! i did not have remission from Brain fog a day or 2 after starting Rocephin. The improvement began 2 weeks into the treatment I think....and continued from there. Maybe even 3 weeks..I cannot remember.

Sorry, my mistake. It was @lizw118 who became "almost totally well" after 2 days on Rocephin.

I personally have no interest in taking antidepressants or drugs that treat Schizophrenia or mood disorders (for their primary purpose or repurposed for researching theories).

Dr Jay Goldstein was famous for using antidepressants, antipsychotics, anticonvulsants, anxiolytics, antihypertensives, and many more categories of drug to treat ME/CFS. Many ME/CFS doctors use benzodiazepines to treat ME/CFS, which are anxiolytics.

Many different classes of drugs are potential treatments for ME/CFS, see the contents page of Maija Haavisto's book.

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

Dr Jay Goldstein was famous for using antidepressants, antipsychotics, anticonvulsants, anxiolytics, antihypertensives, and many more categories of drug to treat ME/CFS. Many ME/CFS doctors use benzodiazepines to treat ME/CFS, which are anxiolytics.

Many different classes of drugs are potential treatments for ME/CFS, see the contents page of Maija Haavisto's book.
@Hip,

I think that we need to be happy for the progress we made so far. My depression and anxiety have improved and I don't take any psych meds. My energy levels have improved, and I don't take antivirals or RA meds. My immune system has improved, and i don't take anything that kills my immune system. My quality of sleep has improved, and i don't take sleep meds. My cardiovascular system has improved and i don't take any heart meds. My pain levels have improved and I don't take anything for pain.

So my point is that we are all going to heal in our own unique way and on our own time. "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"