• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBT recommended for PMS in the UK

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
While PMS affects a large proportion of women, the exact mechanism behind the condition remains unclear.

Making it a perfect target for CBT.

I agree with @Jenny TipsforME, this might just wake up at least 50% of the population to the ridiculous and appalling way CBT is being promoted as a treatment for everything unexplained, which can only be good for pwme.

purrsian

I fought tooth and nail to get to our local pain clinic...and after waiting several months- guess what- CBT! I was treated as if I was completely stupid, as ( lying down in so much pain I was in tears), I was shown a diagram that showed if I was 'Happy' then I would feel less pain than if I felt ' Stressed'! GENIUS!!
That's so frustrating. We can't figure out how to fix you, so clearly it must be because you aren't happy enough!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
But as O’Brien points out, only the removal of the womb and ovaries will resolve the issue permanently. “It is actually the only cure but it is very drastic,” he said.

That would mean that a woman would be forced into menopause which has its own set of problems such as hot flashes, increased fatigue, etc. How might they plan on fixing that? More CBT?

trishrhymes

That would mean that a woman would be forced into menopause which has its own set of problems such as hot flashes, increased fatigue, etc. How might they plan on fixing that? More CBT?

I think women who have early hysterectomies are usually offered HRT. I tried HRT for a month during menopause and felt so ill on it I gave up - for me it was worse than PMS or menopause symptoms, but lots of women seem to be OK on it. Probably didn't help that I had ME as well.

Large Donner

Shaughn O’Brien, professor of obstetrics and gynaecology - a man who has never had a single PMS day in his life. What a complete ass. All the CBT in the world wouldn't have helped my cramps and fatigue the day before my period started. CBT seems to be the cure-all for everything in the UK. :aghhh:

He needs a football in the bollocks. For 24 hours 5 days a month.

Last edited: