• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBT/GET recoveries

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
With all the articles posted online from experts saying cbt/get improve or help cfsme recovery from this illness, there must be a number of people on this forum, which is probably the most popular involving mecfsers, that have improved/recovered from cbt/get or exercise .

Can those who have significantly improved or recovered with cbt/get or exercise please post here. Also if you had before and after nk function testing or other immune/infectious testing showing improvements , please post.

If whats been posted in studies or in news paper articles on exercis/cbt/get etc etc, we should have a significant number of posts in this thread from people who its helped. And how long people have had this improvement .

Cheers

Ellkaye

Great post !

Lunatics in London behind Pace. Pure raw lunatics. They have no idea about depression or ME or how to rig a study properly enough... But they know about CFS and inserting 'fatigue' everywhere.

Nutters at best.they are in too deep. The only way to hide is for them to go deeper. They have no choice. They built their careers on this.

Odd and Bizarre goings-on really. Nothing can come near them. They are Untouchable.
There can be nothing that rivals them. Nothing. No matter what it is.

Patients should not follow the advice of these lunatics. They need to know not to trust these doctors. Or they could end up really sick. It s important they know.

Last edited:

alex3619

We know how this story ends, but let me start by saying I appeared (once upon a time, as all good fables go) to be helped by both CBT and graded exercise.

This was classic CBT. I think it might help some cope, but nothing more. I never tried the new even babblier versions.

I sometimes seemed to be initially helped by very careful graded exercise. I tried this soooo many times. The fact that it took many tries but I eventually gave up tells you something. Back when I was at the lower end of moderate I started walking a few times, not far. Then a short jog. Then before the end of week 2, with having achieved the grand goal of maybe a minute of jogging .... crash. No energy. Could barely stagger along. It took six months to recovery that time. It was my last attempt. Sudden catastrophic failure with huge recovery time is the norm.

Strength training was a bit more successful a few times, but eventually wound up in the same place. Back then though I had no idea how critical it was to avoid any aerobic exercise.

Given what we know about diagnostic error, and exercise physiology, it appears highly likely that any recovery via exercise is in misdiagnosed patients. It would be very nice to get an idea of how many there were like that though.

Seven7

Seven
I think that there is value on understanding the AT and studying if the AT can be increase in CFS via therapy (monitored AT and the whole hooked up to a machine to monitor all BP,HR, Oxygen, CO2....) while exerting (the chosen activity based on current level, so it could be a little as standing/sitting up)

In my humble opinion we cannot get better while having the AT in the floor. But after 2 years of trying I am not sure it can be done. This is where I think the money should go GET/exercise related.

panckage

In my case exercise has greatly reduced the symptoms caused by muscle atrophy (which is a symptom of CFS).

I've found for strength training particularly helpful. Especially isometric exercises for core and legs using gymnastic rings/suspension trainer. This method uses a minimum of energy

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
isometric is not graded exercise. And what's your definition of minimal energy? Thats purely subjective. If you are well enough to hang on rings you're infinitely better than I am.

Does reaching for the remote a few more times each day constitute graded exercises?