• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBS up-regulating or down-regulating?

juniemarie

I'm trying to understand this. If my homocysteine is high does it mean the normally up-regulating CBS SNP is down-regulating instead and not creating the Yasko "bath tub" effect but the opposite?

Valentijn

I'm trying to understand this. If my homocysteine is high does it mean the normally up-regulating CBS SNP is down-regulating instead and not creating the Yasko "bath tub" effect but the opposite?
The CBS SNP that you have does nothing at all - it won't raise or decrease homocysteine. But you have other SNPs that have been shown to raise homocysteine in various studies.

juniemarie

Valentijn I think it has finally sunk in! Thanks for putting me on the right track I read what I could find about it today and it seems MTRR-A66G can be a major contributor impairing the ability to clear homocysteine. Having to do with methionine conversion.So I am going to move on from CBS. Am taking everything I should be taking for CBS and have reduced thiols so going to say bye bye to CBS The only scary thing I read about MTRR A66G is the brain tumor thing.

Bluebell

The only scary thing I read about MTRR A66G is the brain tumor thing.

I thought, "Brain tumor thing, what brain tumor thing?" and so I looked at this--

"The highest risk of meningioma was associated with heterozygosity for both MTHFR variants [odds ratio (OR), 2.11; 95% confidence interval (95% CI), 1.42-3.12]. The corresponding OR for glioma was 1.23 (95% CI, 0.91-1.66).
A significant association between risk of meningioma and homozygosity for MTRR 66G was also observed (OR, 1.41; 95% CI, 1.02-1.94).
"Similarly, the AG genotype [of MTRR A66G] was also associated with an increased risk albeit nonsignificantly (OR, 1.21; 95% CI, 0.94-1.55"
"Our findings provide support for the role of folate metabolism in the development of primary brain tumors."
http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/17/5/1195.full

Looks like I have an odds ratio of 2.11 for a meningioma from double-hetero C677T/A1298C, plus a 1.23 odds ratio for a glioma from the same, and a bonus 1.21 odds ratio for a meningioma from my hetero MTRR A66G.

I think 23andMe should really have reports available for these genes.