• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Caught XMRV from working with mice? Possible???

Boule de feu

This question might sound a bit weird... but here it goes anyway.

In 1987, I did some research in a hospital lab. I worked for 4 months with albino mice and got bitten a few times. After that episode, I started having all sorts of problems : anemia, thyroid anomalies, allergies to molds and other unusual drugs and chemicals, IBS, erythromelalgia, and the list goes on and on. Would it be possible that I was infected that way? Aren't lab mice exempt from viruses in the first place?

I must admit that my immune system was already under a lot of pressure (I was taking strong antibiotics) for a case of complicated pneumonia (mycoplasma) that would not heal. Strangely, this happened shortly after giving blood. Maybe I already had CFS before I started working at the hospital.

I am now "severely housebound", 20 + years later.

I would appreciate any comments on this. :Retro tongue:

Sunshine

Lab mice that have been tampered with genetically by scientists have XMRV. Wild mice are immune to XMRV. <<According to XMRV in mice expert Dr John Coffin>>. Vaccine contamination of tampered with XMRV mice is highly probable as a vector for XMRV into humans, but it would have taken something more than just a 'mistake' for this to happen. XMRV in humans is not mouse XMRV, but a whole new virus. XMRV in humans thus came from somewhere, then someone. We will never know.

A diagnosed mycoplasma infection would prevent you having a diagnosis of CFS as the cause is known, an infection!. CFS diagnosis is unexplained. Yet, conversely, It would be true someone with immune supression/retroviral infection would be more likely to suffer from mycoplasma infection, thus creating a state of neuro immune disease . Your mouse bite could therefore be a chance, a fluke as you already had XMRV/MULV. In a twist, having such a state of poor health that you do, would qualify you under the vague label of CFS because masses of people with ME (neuro disease ICD:10 G93.3), are wrongly told they have CFS as the CDC prevented the neuro disease ME (a disease since 1969) from being used in the USA. It was CFS or nothing, so CFS it was. CFS doesn't exist as a disease (only a syndrome), and as such hides people who are very sick and not sick at all - through the CDC's statements of mental dysfunction within the label and the psychiatric professions funding of studies to 'prove' this.

How do we know that mycoplasma's + XMRV = ME/CFS? Maybe they are, maybe you are unique patient. CFS patients have great difficulty getting tests, and rarely think of, or have mycoplasma infection tests. Is there a link? Maybe we shall find out, but only when governments or the WPI say we should look. Currently, no one is looking. Mycoplasma's are found in AIDS patients, and some patients with CFS. What does that tell you? They are both immune supressed, and AIDS and ME/CFS is a consequence of this. HIV = abilty to have AIDS. XMRV = abilty to have ME/CFS.

I am sorry to hear you have been ill for so long and at such a severe level. It does look like some avenues are opening up slowly. Equally slowly CFS patients are waking up to realise the label CFS is a danger to their health and they are wanting a new one. Yet, by getting a new label - the terrible crimes done against CFS patients are erased and the criminals escape...........Catch 22. To remain loyal to 'brand CFS' is currently ok and many people want to, to prove a point, but when CFS becomes 'chronic unwellness' and 'fatigue and one symptom', then by logic we no longer have CFS and would have to go. This will happen.

You're already one step ahead of us having evidence of mycoplasma infection. If you can possibly get XMRV/MLV antibody tested at VIPDX, then you may well be positive.
http://www.vipdx.com/order/docs/Kit_Order_Form.pdf

Good luck, and take care.

Boule de feu

Lab mice that have been tampered with genetically by scientists have XMRV. Wild mice are immune to XMRV. <<According to XMRV in mice expert Dr John Coffin>>. Vaccine contamination of tampered with XMRV mice is highly probable as a vector for XMRV into humans, but it would have taken something more than just a 'mistake' for this to happen. XMRV in humans is not mouse XMRV, but a whole new virus. XMRV in humans thus came from somewhere, then someone. We will never know.

A diagnosed mycoplasma infection would prevent you having a diagnosis of CFS as the cause is known, an infection!. CFS diagnosis is unexplained. Yet, conversely, It would be true someone with immune supression/retroviral infection would be more likely to suffer from mycoplasma infection, thus creating a state of neuro immune disease . Your mouse bite could therefore be a chance, a fluke as you already had XMRV/MULV. In a twist, having such a state of poor health that you do, would qualify you under the vague label of CFS because masses of people with ME (neuro disease ICD:10 G93.3), are wrongly told they have CFS as the CDC prevented the neuro disease ME (a disease since 1969) from being used in the USA. It was CFS or nothing, so CFS it was. CFS doesn't exist as a disease (only a syndrome), and as such hides people who are very sick and not sick at all - through the CDC's statements of mental dysfunction within the label and the psychiatric professions funding of studies to 'prove' this.

How do we know that mycoplasma's + XMRV = ME/CFS? Maybe they are, maybe you are unique patient. CFS patients have great difficulty getting tests, and rarely think of, or have mycoplasma infection tests. Is there a link? Maybe we shall find out, but only when governments or the WPI say we should look. Currently, no one is looking. Mycoplasma's are found in AIDS patients, and some patients with CFS. What does that tell you? They are both immune supressed, and AIDS and ME/CFS is a consequence of this. HIV = abilty to have AIDS. XMRV = abilty to have ME/CFS.

I am sorry to hear you have been ill for so long and at such a severe level. It does look like some avenues are opening up slowly. Equally slowly CFS patients are waking up to realise the label CFS is a danger to their health and they are wanting a new one. Yet, by getting a new label - the terrible crimes done against CFS patients are erased and the criminals escape...........Catch 22. To remain loyal to 'brand CFS' is currently ok and many people want to, to prove a point, but when CFS becomes 'chronic unwellness' and 'fatigue and one symptom', then by logic we no longer have CFS and would have to go. This will happen.

You're already one step ahead of us having evidence of mycoplasma infection. If you can possibly get XMRV/MLV antibody tested at VIPDX, then you may well be positive.
http://www.vipdx.com/order/docs/Kit_Order_Form.pdf

Good luck, and take care.

Thank you very much Sunshine for your reply. I already knew that I'm quite unique. :ashamed:: Afterall, I am ME!

I can't wait to get tested and I wish that one day we will be able to overcome this terrible disease.

muffin

Don't let my mother hear that I have a MOUSE virus, she will freak and scream she kept a clean house and there were NO mice in her house. Mice. Why couldn't it be Moose instead!

Boule de feu

This is what I found on the subject.
2003 study - Journal of Virology
http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/full/77/19/10327

"In contrast to ecotropic MLVs, polytropic MLVs are capable of infecting cells derived from several different species as well as murine cells (11). These recombinant viruses are intimately involved in a number of pathological processes, including proliferative diseases of lymphoid and erythroid origin and the induction of neurological disease."

Neurological disease ? Which one(s)?

Sunshine

I am sure I read someone, Lombardi (?) say that XMRV came from mice about 100,000 years ago.

Mithriel

Hi. Dr Coffin postulated XMRV in humans was 'around' 40 years old.

XMRV in mice could be that old though, yes.

Mice are immune though, genetically. Only lab mice used in science experiments have active XMRV infection.

dannybex

Hi. Dr Coffin postulated XMRV in humans was 'around' 40 years old.

XMRV in mice could be that old though, yes.

Mice are immune though, genetically. Only lab mice used in science experiments have active XMRV infection.

Here's where Lombardi's 100,000 years estimate was mentioned:

http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...y-open-house.-Aug.-21-2010&highlight=richvank

"He said that the mouse retrovirus from which XMRV appears to have mutated affects only wild mice, not laboratory mice. He said that estimates based on the usual rate of mutations as applied to the differences between the genomes of these two retroviruses indicates that XMRV developed a long time ago, perhaps on the order of 100,000 years."

Hopefully it won't take another 100,000 to figure this out, but I'm guessing it'll be another 3-4 at the very least.

Boule de feu

Sorry Dannybex, but your link takes us to the WPI open house?
Is that what you want us to read?

Oops... found it!

Some experts are more optimistic and said NEXT year.
I hope they are right...