• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can't tolerate Vitamin D supplements

Did finger-prick blood Vit D test - result 41 (normal over 50). GP did test years back - result 19 - but then went up to IIRC 54.

Would like mine over 100 because so important.

Problem is for years haven't tolerated supplement - some allergic to filler, others filler okay but vit D itself 1,000iu swells brain unbearably.

Don't know why can't metabolize. Can anyone recommend a supplement, what do you take?

Many thanks.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Did finger-prick blood Vit D test - result 41 (normal over 50). GP did test years back - result 19 - but then went up to IIRC 54.

Would like mine over 100 because so important.

Problem is for years haven't tolerated supplement - some allergic to filler, others filler okay but vit D itself 1,000iu swells brain unbearably.

Don't know why can't metabolize. Can anyone recommend a supplement, what do you take?

Many thanks.
A lot of people with ME have Vitamin D intolerance and deficiency - have a look for threads with 'Vitamin' or 'Vitamin d' (depending on what method you use for searching) in the title.

Mij

I watched a program the other night that recommended 'sunbathing' your mushrooms in sunlight (crinkly side up) for a couple of hours. Eating just a few mushrooms produces enough daily rec of vitamin D .

They were also recommending to dry them out so that they keep for one year during the little sunlight seasons.

I found this intriguing so read up on it and one site says it produces vitamin D2 which is not the one you want, but I'm not so sure about that.

Crux

I see you have iron overload...

Some people with iron overload produce low levels of the hormone, hepcidin, in the liver.
Hepcidin regulates iron absorption, and low levels increase it.

Vitamin D tends to lower hepcidin production, thus increasing iron absorption. This can be fine for most people.

Vitamin D may be causing side effects because it is increasing iron absorption.

pamojja

I use LEF's liquid drops. 2.000 IU per drop. Personally need about 8.000 IUs to get at least to 60 ng/dl 25(OH)D3 serum level, and developed a severe magnesium deficiency by supplementing at that intake. I suspect a deficiency of one of the cofactors for metabolizing Vitamin D3 in your case too. Get informed and experiment:

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-and-other-vitamins-and-minerals/

Thankyou very much for all the useful info, now digesting.

When I lie in sun, no bad reaction like supplements, but problem is can't get out the front door very often. Thinking re. UV lamp.

Mother and two sisters also have ME but no trouble with D3 supplement, don't know why just me. Today took 1000iu, 4 hours later swollen brain, headache, brainfog worse.

Maybe need more magnesium but have problem with fillers in almost all supplements, need one with magnesium and nothing else at all.

Have discovered there are other threads on D intolerance, didn't realise that. But there don't seem to be any clear answers. Anyway, thanks again - much appreciated.

Critterina

I got headaches from D3 softgels, after taking them a while. I use drops now and have no problem. The brand is Mt. Angel Vitamin Company.