• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can't tolerate SSRI's - other suggestions for depression?

jeffrez

I started Trazodone this week, about 12 mg two hours before sleep. Like the SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, and many other drugs, more than I can shake a stick at, this drug looks to be another one that I can't tolerate. I had hoped it would decrease REM sleep (I feel like I'm dreaming all night) and improve sleep quality. So far it seems to be making the nightmares worse (lots of violence) and this morning I woke with vertigo, even while lying down. Being too dizzy to get out of bed is a new and alarming symptom. Is this common for trazodone?

That's too bad it didn't work for you. I do get that dizziness effect from it, and a kind of weakness when trying to walk feeling, too. Not sure what that's coming from - haven't checked BP during those times - but thankfully it appears to be fully gone by morning.

It sounds kind of scary, but sometimes some of the anti-psychotic meds in low doses can help both sleep and depression. Seroquel will almost definitely knock you out, very likely with no dreams whatsoever. Might even help with depression, too, depending on what your transmitters are up to.

Agree with nanonung that Wellbutrin is worth trying for depression, can be a very good drug for ME/CFS if it suits you. Made me really agitated and anxious, but everyone's neuro profile obviously is different. It won't help you with sleep, that's almost certain, but if it works for the depression at least you've got one thing a little more under control.

Again, in worst case scenario or last resort, MAO inhibitors can be worth a try. Would be hard to imagine those not working for depression, psych docs just don't like to use them b/c they're "old" and have the dietary restrictions that you have to be careful about. Might be worth considering if you've exhausted all other options.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Trazodone did make me feel weird the first week or so I was taking it, and I think I did have vivid dreams at the time. But this effect wore off quickly and has never bothered me since.