• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can't stop Liothyronine (T3)

I'm satisfied that I have ruled out other medical disorders. There isn't anything doctors can do for ME patients at present, so going to a doctor is just risking stress and disappointment, and wasting resources. I'll go to my GP if I come across a new test or drug that I think is worthwhile, but otherwise, this forum is more useful.

Same here but a lot still remains unanswered, for me anyway.

The Docs I've had dealings with won't even acknowledge ME. Had the AITM ridicule so I know frequent visits are useless.

I agree, best stick to this forum.

Gondwanaland

Yesterday, I decided not to take my small daily dose of T3.
I was just wondering if I was still needing it...

The answer is yes, definitely!
I don't think your experiment is valid. The T3 should be tapered down so your body has time to adjust to lower doses and resume incresed T3 production.

Having said that, I am pretty sure that my body falls short in T3 production due to the high requirements of my immune system. I remember clearly how well I felt when I started taking T3 back in 2014.

Wishful

Good point about the rebound effect. It was quite pronounced when I tried taking T2 daily (100 mcg) for several days the first time I tried it. I got an energy boost, which tapered off over a few days. Then when I stopped taking it (abruptly), I experienced worse symptoms in kind of a mirror image: abrupt worsening, which tapered off.

@pattismith , if you feel there's a reason why you shouldn't continue taking T3, you might want to try tapering off, even if it's a tiny dose, and seeing if the worsening lasts for more than a few days. Personally, I hate experiments where the expected result is just feeling worse for a few days, with no other benefit. :grumpy:

pattismith

Good point about the rebound effect. It was quite pronounced when I tried taking T2 daily (100 mcg) for several days the first time I tried it. I got an energy boost, which tapered off over a few days. Then when I stopped taking it (abruptly), I experienced worse symptoms in kind of a mirror image: abrupt worsening, which tapered off.

@pattismith , if you feel there's a reason why you shouldn't continue taking T3, you might want to try tapering off, even if it's a tiny dose, and seeing if the worsening lasts for more than a few days. Personally, I hate experiments where the expected result is just feeling worse for a few days, with no other benefit. :grumpy:
well, I can't see any good reason to stop it for now as I need it to stay alive ;)

The only reason I could see is the fact that T3 alone isn't enought most of the time, I need also caffeine, high B vitamine doses, corticoids, etc...The other problem is that if I cut my T3 dose by half, it has no effect, and I don't have any possibility to take any intermediate dosage...:love: