• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

can't sleep... update post/ vent

renerdrat

Every teardrop is a waterfall
I can't sleep right now.. and I dunno just feeling a little confused. I recently started feeling fairly bad after having natto.. combined with my usual b12, b6, b9 vitamins. It's lasted now till almost tuesday (Had natto wed/thurs). Anyway I'm not sure if it's some kind of detox? I know that natto this blood and breaks down fibrin, and also is high in k2. What's weird is I've had it before and didn't have this reaction. I seem to be more sensitive to my b12 than I used to as well... Are the nutrients getting into the cells more effectively now possibly?

As far as how I feel overall... I definitely am happier and have more energy than I did a year ago. I feel significantly better and I am extremely thankful for that. Just my random weird reactions to things is frustrating and confusing, and not being able to sleep is even worse. I know I should count my blessings but I just keep thinking when am I gonna be able to just feel normal again, I have so many dreams and aspirations

I can think of a handful of days when my sleep was just perfect, I just am not sure what I did. I know I should keep a food journal but I always end up forgetting to report in it. This post doesn't really have much of a point I'm just thinking I guess... Any input is appreciated though.

David Jackson

The body needs sleep to (a) repair and clean, and (b) rest. If you find you can't sleep, you can't get much of the (a), but you still can get (b), provided you lay there calmly, and not worry about not being able to sleep.

And here's the other thing I know about sleep:

When we sleep, we often think of it as the brain calming down and going to sleep. This is wrong... actually the brain works much harder when we are asleep, fixing the body... so, if we can't sleep, it's actually more like: the brain can't wake up to do the work it needs to do. And, yeah, that's sometimes because we're stressed, and sometimes because there is something wrong with our health, that is preventing the brain from waking up... like how we have next to no energy...

So, yeah, I'm not sure how much that stuff will actually help you; I just had five minutes to fill, and I just read your post...

Mary

Moderator Resource
@renerdrat - there are so many variables re sleep, it can make you nuts. I have found on a number of occasions that when I took or did something that boosted my thyroid and thus I felt better and had more energy, my sleep got correspondingly worse! Not fair, but that's what happened. e.g., biotin boosted my energy but it made my sleep worse (which was already bad) so I had to stop it.

So you're feeling better with more energy and that could possibly be why your sleep is worse - or not. When did your sleep start to get worse? Was it after you took the natto? Did you start any other supplement?

I take a ton of supplements for sleep and a very small dose of trazodone, which I want to get off of before too long. It's crazy what I have to take, but it's working. I don't tolerate drugs very well at all. I was taking first 0.5 mg and then 1 mg. of lorazepam in the middle of the night for sleep for 10 years (way too long!). I tapered off of it starting over a year ago and have been off it all the way since last February. Anyways, sleep has been a huge issue since I first started the taper but I do seem to have it under control (at least for the last several days!)

If you're interested in what I take, let me know. It's lengthy.