• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can't shut my brain off to sleep

Forbin

The title of this thread reminded me that, when I first became ill in 1983, my doctor recommended L-tryptophan to help me to get sleep.

The first (and only) night that I took it, I experienced an extraordinarily odd sleep state in which my mind was jumping around from thought to thought, image to image as though I was watching a TV that was switching channels every second or so. It was something like the polar opposite of lucid dreaming because I had no ability to control, slow down or be involved with any of it. It wasn't a nightmare, just an experience of extremely annoying, seemingly endless randomness that I could not wake up from.

Needless to say, I never took L-tryptophan again, although I can't prove that it was responsible for this unique dream state.

I'm curious if anyone else has ever experienced a dream state like this, with or without sleep aids.

[In 1991, L-tryptophan was banned in the US due to a 1989 outbreak of Eosinophilia–myalgia syndrome that killed at least 37 people. The outbreak was thought to have been due to some toxic contaminant resulting from a foreign manufacturing process of L-tryptophan. The exact cause was never determined, however. It appears that, in the US, you can once again obtain domestically produced L-tryptophan as of 2002.]

Last edited:

manna

could be the gall bladder. its hi-phase is 11p.m. to 1a.m. i met a lady on one forum who'd had hers removed. strangely, or not, over 50% of her posts (yes i trawled back to check as i thought she might be hyper at this time) were typed between 11 to 1a.m. if all the bodies healing resources are being spent on that meridian at that time, then you're left with no juice left to relax and sleep with. or could be the triple heater, before that from 9-11p.m., especially if you get cold around 9-10 in the evening.

i know someone who slept better when she changed her shampoo to natural and non scented. so could be personal care and/or domestic chemicals. some folk report difficulty sleeping after having wi-fi on all evening. could be alot of things so i just go au naturelle as far as i can and hopefuly that covers bases.

just reading this and thought i would reply to what has helped me in the past....staying off sugar as sugar can rev an engine up......also....fruit is a natural sugar so can do the same. Try taking graval (spelling?)gets me to sleep when im in a bind. hope this helps. I am in Canada so i have no idea what graval is called in other countries..sorry

manna

^ i agree with the above and its quite a synchy post to bring me here, as i was about to go an add an insight to the thread i started about inclined bed therapy, then this alert popped up.

think about this...if you're ungrounded and your centre of gravity is higher in your body than it should be then this will be the same up the length of the centre of your body. then the energy of your throat centre (speach, logic, communication) will reside in your head instead and cause mind chatter. i have noted that inclining your bed at the back causes this energy to return back to the throat. similar to the solar plexus fire going to the heart centre and being felt acid reflux...or the wind of your heart/lungs going upto the throat and causing burping or whispering (breeze) or can't shut up (tornado).