• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can't Get Out of Bed to Take Pain Medicine!!

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
On Friday I went to bed at 4:00 p.m. and couldn't get up on Saturday to take my pain medicine. My husband made me a pancake so I could eat something and take my medicine, but I couldn't get out to the kitchen. (My husband is sick too and there is only so much he can do.) So, I wake up Saturday night in so much pain I have an "Oh my God, I want to die!" moment and force myself out of bed.

I was thinking about ideas on how to avoid this next time. I usually have at least one of these times a week where I can't get up to take pain medicine. I think I am going to get a little fridge to put by my bed with snacks in it and try to organize my medicine in some way so that it will all be right by me ready to eat and take. Also, I will get a bunch of granola bars to put by my bed. Now, if I can just get to the store to get all this stuff!

Yes Mya, I have a box of my pain medications on my dresser, for the times of not being able to get out of bed. I am now keeping my break thru pain tablets there. Usuually 20 mins and i am feeling better or are asleep. Both hubby and I take water to bed with us.

My issue is my meds are downstairs. I always seem to be getting ready for bed and realize I missed my pm meds or need pain meds. I finally got smart and have a small pill box of my meds upstairs. The idea of climbing stairs to get them sometimes is just too much. But I know I regret not taking them later.

liquid sky

I always keep any emergency meds. close to me. I have some in my purse and some by my bed. I always take a glass of water to put next to my bed.

taniaaust1

When i used to be very weak and bedbound a lot of the time, everything was kept right by my bed including a water jug and a whole lot of snacky things to eat. I used to have one of those large round compartmentlized containers there too, in which had nuts, dried fruit etc in it.

ukxmrv

Good idea about the fridge Mya! Sorry to hear that you were stuck in bed for so long.

The problem for me is getting enough food in my stomach that doesn't make me sick (i.e. vomit) that I can take meds with. Cannot eat fruit, nuts etc. If I take most drugs on an empty stomach I just throw them up.

TinyT

Do your meds need refrigerating?

I keep some panadol osteo (paracetamol lasts for 6hrs) by the bed so I can take it if needed when I'm too achy/painful to sleep.

Good luck with the fridge!