• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can't empty bowel? Try coughing!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I discovered by chance recently that a way to speed up a frustratingly-slow bowel movement is to cough or clear the throat. I just happened to cough when stuck on the loo one day - success!

So now when things are taking too long, I have a little cough! :)

*GG*

I think this could give you hemorrhoids though? I think it would be like using force, especially the coughing part, not necessarily the clearing the throat.

GG

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I think this could give you hemorrhoids though? I think it would be like using force, especially the coughing part, not necessarily the clearing the throat.

GG

It doesn't feel like it. I think it could help reduce the risk of getting haemorrhoids, as it doesn't seem to involve straining the anal muscles. It feels as though it pushes things along from higher up. You (or I!) don't have to cough vigorously - just gently. I do it quietly behind my hand, as I don't want the neighbours to think I'm choking to death! :lol: