• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cannot handle long drives

Do you believe this is related to chronic fatigue?

Since having CFS, I cannot drive in a car for a long period. If I drive between San jose and San Francisco, a 1 hour drive, I am shot for the rest of the day. I have no energy. I lag a bit the next day (until afternoon). I've minimized my muscle use; i put the car on cruise control so i don't have to keep my thigh flexed in pressing the accelerator. I make sure not to grip the steering wheel too hard. So I try to give my muscles an easy time. Because I know in other situations if I tense them for a period, it causes ongoing pain and fatigue.

I often have to use the restroom mid-way through which I never had to do before. I can't quite explain it but it feels as though my stomach area feels the ride the most and is unsettled by it. Unfortunately I do drive in a sports car w/bucket seats; and its one of those lower to the ground that feels the road. I wonder if I should think about a Honda, Toyota, or just one that is a smoother ride.

I avoid drives as much as possible; even half hour drives for meetings; I prefer calls instead. Even a half hour drive, I feel a bit wiped out and not ready for a meeting. Longer drives like over 1 hr 30 are out of the question.

Anyhow, does anyone else with CFS have this? Or do you think it's some other condition causing it?

Last edited:

Wolfcub

Well I'm not sure I have CFS or not yet. Some form of post-viral fatigue definitely, plus lingering symptoms of a horrible virus attack.
I know for sure even the idea of a drive -even 5 miles to the store -would have got me in a cold sweat 3 weeks ago. Now I can do it but don't relish the thought. When I'm in the car I'm OK and alert and driving safely, but am not 100% happy. I want to be home.

I called off a dentist appointment twice because I couldn't bear the thought of a one hour drive there and then back again.
When I have to drive, I open the window and play classical (my favourite) music on the radio and that helps me feel a little like I used to feel....I pretend it's the "old days".

Last edited:

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I also have trouble with driving, and think it's related to chronic fatigue. For me, any activity that requires sitting up is draining. But using my muscles while driving also contributes to the difficulty. For me it's hard to use my core muscles to sit upright, and also use my arm muscles to keep my arms up. My muscles aren't tense, but I'm still using them.

But part of it is the mental exertion of driving. You constantly have to be looking around you, remembering what you see, processing that visual information, and making decisions. That can also be exhausting. Sometimes when I pull into my parking space after driving home from work I'm too tired to get out of the car for a little while.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Yeah, I've noticed this too. I think our CNS (central nervous systems) become more sensitive to the ride (bumps and jostles) as well as the petro chemicals in the air around us. Even short distances wear me out.

Murph

:)
I also can't drive for too long. The combination of holding my arms up and focusing is hard.I try to manage it by abandoning the "ten to two" position and gripping the steering wheel with one hand at the bottom so i can rest my arm in my lap somewhat. I also take breaks often.

jpcv

I can drive up to 4 hours without trouble, I have learned from experience that I can´t drive with my arms stretched, they have to be flexed, with my elbows close to my body. So I have to adjust my seat and the steering wheel, that´s my single precaution.
Interestingly enough, I have bought a electric scooter to drive around my neighborhood, like going to store or just for fun. But I have yet to find a way to drive it properly, because I get tired everytime I drive it, I think it´s got something to do with the way I use my arms.

Wishful

I think the heightened state of awareness required for driving is part of the problem. It makes sense that the extra processing required, and the extra hormones, could affect ME/CFS. However, I've been doing longer drives than usual lately, combined with strenuous physical effort (cleaning up a property), and don't feel the cognitive-induced PEM I usually get from driving. Maybe the physical effort is altering some imbalance in a way that blocks or counters the cognitive effort's effects.

I also find that the physical strain of holding my arms up on the steering wheel is enough to trigger PEM.