• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida:The Untold Story

Spring

I've read the article. I don't believe the psychological part. I've worked out all my trauma's and still have a big candida issue. I don't see any scientific base here. I believe there is a connection between mind and body functioning, but this does not convince me my candida is a psychological thing. If it was, it would have been gone a few years ago.

Gavman

Seems to be alot of good evidence that stressors/emotions can cause problems in the body. Having done lots of body therapy and nlp, there is a decent link that an event caused tightness in the body. And avoidance of areas creates problems.
I somewhat agree Adster, i think NLP is usually used as a quick fix instead of a decent holistic understanding of a person and their problems. There are lots of NLP practitioners who use one, maybe two tools and if its not resolved will say, "Well i dont know, everyone else has been feeling better." Im more inclined towards the practitioner than the therapy model.

u&iraok

The author mentions people developing eating disorders because of obsessively sticking to the anti-candida diet. You can't get rid of candida with diet alone, though you can't get rid of it without the diet. It's a shame people are on this diet for years, you're not meant to be. And the diet has been revised from some years ago and is not as strict.

I wouldn't discount the emotional aspect. I'm sure we wouldn't be as susceptible to disease from emotional issues and other contributors if it weren't for our stressful society and toxins including heavy metals. Dr. Klinghardt is quoted in this article--I've read before where he's written that pathogens will increase in the presence of heavy metals.

Athene

ihateticks.me
I so wish it were this easy to get rid of candida, but it isn't. It takes a functioning immune system to keep it under control. You can be as happy as Larry and free of all toxins, but if you don't have an immune system to kill the infection, it will remain and thrive. Unfortunately for me.

Does the candida cause the lowered immune system, or does the lowered immune system allow the candida to grow and become a problem?

I've been fighting a systemic candida infection for over a year now. I've been through rounds of anti-fungal meds, and even though the infection was gone after six months, but I began producing antibodies en mass three months later. Now my blood tests show it's out of control again, and I'm on a new anti-fungal.

I've been told that you can't have a systemic fungal infection and be walking and talking, that you'd be in a hospital on death's door. Yet, my doctor shows me the bloodwork that indicates high levels of antibodies. She believes the infection has seeded in my joints (as I've developed debilitating arthritis-like pain in my joints). I have no signs of it anywhere else.

Does this all sound reasonable? I'm just not sure about the whole Candida thing...

ukxmrv

It's from the Optimum Health Clinic - that well known UK attempt to part ME patients from their wallets.

Just reading it should tell you that it doesn't make sense. They take small amounts of "fact" and then hide them in huge theorising piles of BS.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi Michelle,

It's the lowered immune system that allows candida to thrive. It's true having high antibodies doesn't mean systemic candida, your doctor was teling the truth! That would mean it is in ALL parts of your body, and that is definitely life threatening.

Chronic candida infection usually lives in the intestine and, if you are a woman vagina. These are the places where someone who is immunocompromised, but not utterly immuno deficient, fails to maintain the right balance of bacteria that keep it in check. They are the two places where the immune system has to work incessantly the keep the right balance of acitidy and bacteria, so they are the first places to go wrong when the immune system is not at full force. So I think your antibodies are derived from the fight that is going on there.
If you get particularly run down then it may also flare up in your throat and mouth as well, or a few other places.

It sounds weird about having candida in the joints. How could it get there? Surely it would have to go via the blood???
Have you been tested for autoimmune antibodies and Lyme disease? These are more common causes of joint pain, I think you should be screened for these first. As far as I know either of them could explain why your immune system is substandard - Lyme certainly would explain that, anyway.

I hope you can get some relief with anti candida treatments. I have had it for 28 years and never got rid of it, I've tried every medicine there is, some for very long courses. Some of them get it slightly under control but it comes back immediately as soon as I stop the medication.
If you do take meds, you need to do the anti candida diet as well.

u&iraok

I hope this doesn't sound like an advertisement, and I'm not sure if there are rules about recommending doctors, but I want to help with this horrible candida problem, as someone who suffered from it and was cured.

I had a bad strain of systemic candida and was very ill. I tried a bunch of stuff which helped a little but then I found Dr. Biamonte's website. He's an expert on candida and has been curing people around the world for years. He has a proven protocol and I learned from him how much lack of knowledge on candida there is out there and how few doctors know how to cure it and how many people try this or that and are sick for years. There's no sense in suffering for years and this is an infection which is hard on the body. I was cured in a few months following his protocol. This was in 2001 and it has never come back. He's in NY, NY but does phone consultations (that's how I did it.) Please at least read at his website: www.health-truth.com

Athene

ihateticks.me
I hope this doesn't sound like an advertisement, and I'm not sure if there are rules about recommending doctors, but I want to help with this horrible candida problem, as someone who suffered from it and was cured.

I had a bad strain of systemic candida and was very ill. I tried a bunch of stuff which helped a little but then I found Dr. Biamonte's website. He's an expert on candida and has been curing people around the world for years. He has a proven protocol and I learned from him how much lack of knowledge on candida there is out there and how few doctors know how to cure it and how many people try this or that and are sick for years. There's no sense in suffering for years and this is an infection which is hard on the body. I was cured in a few months following his protocol. This was in 2000 and it has never come back. He's in NY, NY but does phone consultations (that's how I did it.) Please at least read at his website: www.health-truth.com

It does sound a bit like an advertisement, to be honest. What exactly did he do to cure you? How did it work?

u&iraok

I'll post my protocol. It's better to get your own protocol so he can determine what you need and you also don't have the benefit of testing to see where you are along the way. One of the biggest mistakes people make is quitting because they feel better. The mistaken idea is that we all have candida so we just need to lower the levels, but that's not true. Candidiasis is candida that became an infection and the yeast morphs into a fungus and digs itself into the intestinal wall creating layers of fungus. If you quit before it's gone it will just come back.

The key is commitment. It's an exact protocol so you have to follow it step by step and also follow the diet which is difficult. I know we don't feel well and it can be difficult to muster up the determination. I was so determined to get rid of the candida that I would have done anything. The candida can make you have extreme carb and sugar cravings but you have to stick to the diet or it won't work.

Candida Diet -entire protocol

Phase 0 - Loosens top layers of candida

K-min This is diatomaceous earth which scrapes the candida off the intestinal walls
Candiloosener Contains MSM, N-Acetyl-Glucosamine, cellulose
6-in-1 To help absorb and eliminate the candida that was loosened. Contains betonite, apple fiber, pslhum husk, oat bran-fine, whey powde, fennel seed powder, rice bran hull, wormwood, red clover, citrus pectin, artichoke flour, barley grass, alfalfa, citricidal, di calcium phosphate, buckthorn bark, butternut bark, cascara sagrada, cat's claw, cloves, gentian powder, golden seal root, rhubard root.

Take 4 capsules of each, once in a.m. and once in p.m. on empty stomach.

I was on this for a month

Phase I Candida Killers

He picks 4 for you and you rotate them every four days because candida can quickly develop immunity to a substance.

Lomatium - liquid extract on empty stomach 1/2 dropper 4x a day
Spilanthes - liquid extract on empty stomach 1/2 dropper 4x a day
Collodial Silver - Brand Agcidal 1 tsp on empty stomach 3x a day in water
Kolorex - as recommended on label (do not take on empty stomach! Major burning diarrhea)

Continue Phase 0 products while adding Phase 1

He also gave me pregnenalone to raise cortisol. Usually you quit everything to kill the candida including vitamins because some vitamins feed it. Also, killing infections is normally the first priority before you can do anything else. Do not try to detox as mercury can cause a major candida overgrowth as it's dumped into the intestines. But if your hormones are messed up it may interfere with candida killing.

I was on Phase 1 (with Phase 0 continuing) for two months. It was determined most of candida was killed. I had it system wide so now to focus on intestines only.

Phase II - Concentrate on completely elimnating from intestines and rebuilding good bacteria

Mycropryl - Caprylic Acid - 4 capsules 3x a day, raising to 10 3x per day over a period of 7 days, 7 days at a time, rotating with
Undycenoic Acid - 4 capsules 3x a day, raise to 10 per day, 3x per day

If die off too bad, lower the dosages

2 weeks after starting these two, add:

saccharomyces boulardii - probiotic - 2 3x a day
Ultra Flora - probiotic - 2 3x a day
Probioplex IC (I think, can't read writing) - probiotic - 2 3x a day

Continue Phase 0 products.

Did this for a month.

Another huge misconception is that taking probiotics will kill candida. No, it will not, not until the level of candida is low enough. Candida laughs at probiotics. Dr. B uses the analogy of trying to plant flowers in a garden of weeds.

Quote from Dr. B on curezone:

In the early 90's I helped the then great smokies labs develope the now famous CDSA stool test. I had the opportunity to test 30 patients every week for 9-12 weeks. I got to see first hand how their bifidus and acidophillus levels responded to taking probiotics vs antifungals. After 9-12 weeks on very expensive probiotics 90% of the patients exhibited negative growth if the probiotics. I repeated the trial after giving the patients a 3 month rotation of intestinal antifungals.The CDSA test then showed a return of the probiotics in 80% of the patients.
Interestingly while on the antifungals the probiotics the acidophilus and bifidus began to return despite not taking the probiotics.

After this I worked on Leaky Gut with a product called Permavite and kept taking probiotics. And after that worked on all the huge messes that my body was in. Doing well but the flu shots I took and the pregnancy I had were too much and I got ME/CFS.

Athene

ihateticks.me
u&iraok,

Thank you so much for all that info! It sounds like a great protocol and you gave so much info that really makes sense: why the candida keeps coming back because it digs itself into the intestine wall; the planting flowers among weeds analogy to explain why probiotics don't kill candida; also the fact that candida quickly develops resistance to substances, which has always been my impression.

I wonder if I could afford to see this doctor? I'm in Europe, I may have to see what he could do by telephone.

aprilk1869

Thanks u&iraok for the info, can you give me a rough idea of how much it costs to do this protocol with this doctor? I think it could be a good option for my Mum.

u&iraok

Athene and April,

Dr. Biamonte will do a phone consultation anywhere in the world. Once he had different places listed that he did phone consults and there were some pretty far-flung places.

When I did it in 2001 the first two consultations were $160.00. Then I had a consultation once a month and that was $80.00. I know it's gone up since then but I couldn't find the prices on his website. They used to be listed, maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Here's what I paid to cure Candida and Leaky Gut in five months including consultations, tests (candida, toxic metals and also cortisol and estrogen tests) and supplements.

(I was actually on Phase I, candida killers, for two months, not one. I've corrected it in my protocol above.)

First Month - $522
Second Month - $483
Third Month - $310
Fourth Month - $390
Fifth Month - $590

Total - $1895

He doesn't take insurance since he's an ND. If a person can budget for it, "I call that a bargain, the best I eever haaaddd..." (sorry, The Who took over right there) but if they can't maybe they can try my protocol.

The supplements alone cost $500.00.

xrunner

Doctor's Data reports have some helpful info at the back regarding which agents work on which form of candida. The following is from my report

Candida Famata
sensitive to:
Rx agents: fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, nyastatin
Natural agents: barberine, caprylic acid, goldenseal, undecylenic acid, uva ursi
resistant to: oregano, tanalbit

Candida albicans
sensitive to:
Rx agents: fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, nyastatin
Natural agents: barberine, caprylic acid, undecylenic acid,
resistant to: oregano, tanalbit, goldenseal, uva ursi.

Don't know whether there are other sub-species of candida and the relevant effective agents to deal with them.

I don't have an issue with candida so dont' know much about it but you may find helpful searching the net for studies on the link between biofilm and candida/yeast. They have recently found that yeast can develop biofilm just like bacteria as a protection mechanism and that polyphenols may be effective at breaking that down.

Another piece of info I came across was from Andy Cutler, where he was advising people with mercury toxicity to stay away from both foods (broccoli, etc) and supplements (MSM, glutathione, NAC etc) rich in sulfur as these would make candida worse.

all the best

u&iraok

There are problems with taking the candida drugs. Here's an excerpt from an article by Dr. Biamonte:

Limitations of Nystatin and Diflucan
Nystatin is particularly known for causing drug resistance in different strains of Candida Albicans. It has done this for several reasons. One is that it has been so widely prescribed. Millions of individuals prescribed this drug equals billions of colonies of Candida have had a chance to mutate against it. Beyond this however, it is typical for Nystatin to be prescribed for periods of time that exceed 30 days. My contention is that drug resistance in Candida colonies begin after the colony has been exposed to the same medication for 21 days continuously. Nystatin can be prescribed for 30,60 or 90 days at a time.

Diflucan is rarely prescribed for that long because it is simply too toxic and may cause liver and kidney damage. However is it not as toxic as Nizerol which could cause a disaster if prescribed that long.

Nystatin is active mostly in the intestinal tract and is poorly absorbed systemically. This is an advantage of Diflucan or Nizerol in that they are absorbed systemically and are not limited to the intestinal tract.

Dysbiosis

The definition of Dysbiosis is an imbalance in the intestinal tract of normal intestinal flora. Lactobacillus Acidophilus which inhabits the 40-60 foot long small intestine and Bifido Bacterium which inhabits the 6-8 foot long colon are the most abundant protective bacteria in the digestive tract. They help produce vitamins, help us digest and absorb nutrients from our foods and also protect us from harmful bacteria, parasites and yeasts which find their way into our digestive tract. When medication such antibiotics, steroids, antacids, and immune suppressing drugs are taking these friendly protective organisms die-off. This condition is called Dysbiosis. Dysbiosis is a state of imbalance where the harmful micro-organisms achieve an abnormal dominance over the good organisms. This allows a build up of toxins produced by the organisms and also disrupts normal digestion. Due to this, stomach acid and enzymes produced by the pancreas that digest foods (particularly proteins) lessen. This leads to incomplete digestion of proteins.

It is impossible for someone to have an overgrowth of Fungus or Yeast without also developing Dysbiosis. This is because once the friendly flora that protects us from Fungus or Yeast in compromised the growth of harmful bacteria and parasites occur along with the Fungus or Yeast. Does Nystatin or Diflucan kill harmful bacteria or parasites? The answer is no!

So if you use these drugs to eliminate your Candida problem and if you are lucky enough that they do indeed eliminate it, you are still left with the harmful bacteria and the parasites the make up the remainder of your Dysbiosis. That being the case the harmful bacteria and the parasites prevent your friendly bacteria from growing back despite the hundreds of dollars you are spending on acidophilus and probiotics. So what happens in time? Well of course, the Candida grows back again? Why? Because you treated Candida only and not the complete problem which is the Dysbiosis!

Why Use Herbs?

1. Antifungal herbs are plentiful do you can rotate 3,4 or 5 different ones taking each one for 4, 7 or 10 days at a time and then moving to another one without ever causing dug resistance to occur.

2. Herbs are much less toxic then the prescription antifungal drugs.

3. All the antifungal herbs are to a greater or lesser degree also effective against harmful bacteria and parasites. So when you use the herbs youre treating the Dysbiosis and not just the Candida. This gives you a better chance a eliminating your Dysbiosis so that the acidophilus will grow back!

They cons regarding using herbs are very few. Allergic reactions may occur in very sensitive individuals to some of the plant substances in the herbs. That aside there are none.

So while in fact there is the myth of Nystatin and Diflucan being so powerful, you now may see that they are nothing more then big bullies who cant ever do the job correctly so like all bullies their own short comings lead to their eventual failure.

Michael Biamonte holds a Doctorate of Nutripathy, and is a New York State certified Clinical Nutritionist. He is a professional member of the International and American Association of Clinical Nutritionists,The American College of Nutrition and is a member of the Scientific Advisory Board for the Clinical Nutrition Certification Board. He is listed in "The Directory of Distinguished Americans" for his research in Nutrition and Physiology

anniekim

U&irok, thanks for sharing your candida protocol. May I ask how did you know you had candida problems. Want were your symptoms?

Athene, when you say you can never get your candida under control. May I ask what your candida symptoms are? How do you know you have a candida problem? Thank you

u&iraok

There are so many symptoms I had because it had spread from my intestines throughout my body. I could list them all but here's a questionnaire that has all the symptoms on it with the points you tally after it and scoring at the end. I couldn't copy the chart well, so you'll get a clearer questionnaire by googling 'candida questionnaire'.

CANDIDA QUESTIONNAIRE

This candida questionnaire is designed for adults and the scoring system isn't appropriate for children 12 and under. It lists factors in your medical history which promote the growth of Candida Albicans (Section A), and symptoms commonly found in individuals with yeast-connected illness (Sections B and C).
For each "Yes" answer in Section A, circle the point score in that section. Record your total score in the box at the end of the section. Then move on to Sections B and C and score as directed.

Filling out and scoring this questionnaire should help you and your doctor evaluate the possible role of Candida in contributing to your health problems. Yet it will not provide an automatic "Yes" or "No" answer.
scores
Section A: History

1. Have you taken tetracyclines (Symycin, Panmycin, Vibramycin, Minocin, etc.) or other antibiotics for acne for one month or longer? 25
2. Have you, at any time in your life, taken other "broad spectrum" antibiotics* for respiratory, urinary or other infections for 2 months or longer or in shorter courses 4 or more times in a 1-year period? 20
3. Have you taken a broad spectrum antibiotic* -- even in a single course? 6
* Including Keflex, ampicillin, amoxicillin, Ceclor, Bactrim, and Septra. Such antibiotics kill off "good germs" while they are killing off those which cause infection.
4. Have you, at anytime in your life, been bothered by persistent prostatitis, vaginitis, or other problems affecting your reproductive organs? 25
5. Have been pregnant 2 or more times? 5
1 time? 3
6. Have you taken birth control pills for more than 2 years? 15
for 6 months to 2 years? 8
7. Have you taken Prednisone, Decadron or other cortisone-type drugs for more than 2 weeks? 15
For 2 weeks or less? 6
8. Does exposure to perfumes, insecticides, fabric shop odors, and other chemicals provoke moderate to severe symptoms? 20
Mild symptoms? 5
9. Are your symptoms worse on damp, muggy days or in moldy places? 20
10. Have you had athlete's foot, ring worm, jock itch, or other chronic fungus infections of the skin or nails? Have such infections been severe or persistent? 20
Mild to moderate? - 10
11. Do you crave sugar? 10
12. Do you crave breads? 10
13. Do you crave alcoholic beverages? 10
14. Does tobacco smoke really bother you? 10
Point Score ____

Section B: Major Symptoms

For each of your symptoms, enter the appropriate figure in the point score column:
3 points - for occasional or Mild
6 points - for frequent and/or Moderately Severe
9 points - for severe and/or Disabling
Add total score and record it in the box at the end of this section: points
1. Fatigue or lethargy ______
2. Feeling of being "drained" ______
3. Poor memory ______
4. Feeling "spacey" or "unreal" ______
5. Depression ______
6. Numbness, burning, or tingling ______
7. Muscle aches ______
8. Muscle weakness or paralysis ______
9. Pain and/or swelling in joints ______
10. Abdominal pain ______
11. Constipation ______
12. Diarrhea ______
13. Bloating ______
14. Troublesome vaginal discharge ______
15. Persistent vaginal burning or itching ______
16. Prostatitis ______
17. Impotence ______
18. Loss of sexual desire ______
19. Endometriosis ______
20. Cramps and/or other menstrual irregularities ______
21. Premenstrual tension ______
22. Spots in front of the eyes ______
23. Erratic vision ______
Point Score ______

Section C: Other Symptoms
For each of your symptoms, enter the appropriate figure in the point score column:
1 point for occasional or Mild
2 points for frequent and/or Moderately Severe
3 points for severe and/or Disabling
Add total score and record it in the box at the end of this section: ______
1. Drowsiness ______
2. Irritability or jitteriness ______
3. Incoordination ______
4. Inability to concentrate ______
5. Frequent mood swings ______
6. Headache ______
7. Dizziness/loss of balance ______
8. Pressure above ears, feeling of head swelling and tingling ______
9. Itching ______
10. Other rashes ______
11. Heartburn ______
12. Indigestion ______
13. Belching and intestinal gas ______
14. Mucus in stools ______
15. Hemorrhoids ______
16. Dry mouth ______
17. Rash or blister in mouth ______
18. Bad breath ______
19. Joint swelling or arthritis ______
20. Nasal congestion or discharge ______
21. Postnasal drip ______
22. Nasal itching ______
23. Sore or dry throat ______
24. Cough ______
25. Pain or tightness in chest ______
26. Wheezing or shortness of breath ______
27. Urinary urgency or frequency ______
28. Burning or tearing of eyes ______
29. Failing vision ______
30. Burning on urination ______
31. Recurrent infections or fluid in ears ______
32. Ear pain or deafness ______
Point Score ______

Total Score, Section A
Total Score, Section B
Total Score, Section C
GRAND TOTAL SCORE ______

The Grand Total Score will help you and your doctor decide if your health problems are yeast-connected. Scores in women will run higher as 7 items in the questionnaire apply exclusively to women, while only 2 apply exclusively to men.

If your score is: Symptoms are:
180 (women) Almost Certainly
140 (men) Yeast Connected
120 (women) Probably
90 (men) Yeast Connected
60 (women) Possibly
40 (men) Yeast Connected
Less Than: 60 (women)
40 (men) Probably Not Yeast Connected

Note:This test is not for diagnosing illness. If you have a serious health Problem consult with your health practitioner.