• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida Krusei vs. Albicans

Andielyn

Hi all,

For those of you who have tested positive for candida, I'm curious if you have been told or know what strain of candida? Albicans is the most common and what one normally thinks of, but has anyone been diagnosed with the krusei strain? ~Andielyn

dancer

Interesting question. I had testing done that showed candida krusei. I took an anti-fungal, then probiotics which helped IBS probs improve greatly. It didn't make a dent in my ME/CFS, but it was great to have improvement in the IBS (after doctors shrugged it off as "must be stress" during years of debilitating symptoms)

dancer

@dancer. What antifungal?
It was years ago, so I can't remember...but I had the testing through Genova, and they listed various possible anti fungals and which would be effective (both herbal and prescription) and there was only one listed that was highly effective for this strain, so we went with that (an oral prescription for about ten days).

Andielyn

Been diagnosed with krusei todat. Really really really upset. It's rare and hard to treat :(
I'm sorry to hear that. What did the doctor, other than its rare and hard to treat? How was it detected? Where is it and what are your symptoms? My daughter had a Candida kruscei infection once so that's why I originally asked. Let me know if you have any questions about my daughter's case. ~Andielyn

herpesbaby

I'm sorry to hear that. What did the doctor, other than its rare and hard to treat? How was it detected? Where is it and what are your symptoms? My daughter had a Candida kruscei infection once so that's why I originally asked. Let me know if you have any questions about my daughter's case. ~Andielyn
They found it in vaginal culture. 1x10^4 GE/ML

No major symptoms, slight discharge.

Please tell me about your daughter's case.

Andielyn

They found it in vaginal culture. 1x10^4 GE/ML

No major symptoms, slight discharge.

Please tell me about your daughter's case.
My daughter's was post liver transplant surgery and colonized in her internal liver ducts. She was treated with all sorts of things, including amphotericin B, by IV. This was in 1998 though. They finally made the decision to strop treating as the colony was localized and controlled. She has not had any further problems from it. I haven't heard of anyone getting Candida kruscei, it's pretty rare.~Andielyn

My daughter's was post liver transplant surgery and colonized in her internal liver ducts. She was treated with all sorts of things, including amphotericin B, by IV. This was in 1998 though. They finally made the decision to strop treating as the colony was localized and controlled. She has not had any further problems from it. I haven't heard of anyone getting Candida kruscei, it's pretty rare.~Andielyn
how do they know the internal liver ducts were colonized? Did they do testing? It is my understanding with transplants, the anti-immune medicines can allow candida and other organisms to overgrow.