• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida and the Sickness of Detoxification

AngelM

I've read little in this forum about the scourge of Candida. Is candidiasis a symptom of ME/CFS? A separate issue? How does it fit into the current "gut issue" conversation? Is it a piece of the ME/CFS puzzle, or not?

Decades ago when I was sick all the time, with no clue what was wrong with me, I picked up Dr. Cheney's The Yeast Connection. At that time, Cheney was being publicly ridiculed as a quack by the medical establishment. Even so, I read what he had to say about Candida. And to my surprise, much of what he said in his book applied to me. But good luck getting a doctor to listen--especially prior to the year 2000.

What I knew was that yeast made me physically sick. As a young adult, I'd had my share of vaginal yeast infections-- I knew what an overgrowth of yeast felt like--even when it was going on in in my gut. But when I described to my physician that I felt like a vaginal yeast infection had invaded my entire body, he rolled his eyes. I felt lucky to walk away with a script for one Diflucan tablet, which anyone who has experienced systemic yeast knows is like giving a fireman a water balloon to put out a forest fire. I remember begging and pleading with the doctor for one more pill, and being refused every time. He never bothered to explain that his reluctance was rooted in the fact that too much Duflucan (or any medicine, for that matter) can cause liver or kidney damage.

Certainly he never explained ways to avoid recurrent yeast infections. I think he believed that because I did not have an MD after my name, I could not possibly understand what was going on in my own body. What did I know? I was in my twenties. He was an old man with a medical degree. I finally became so frustrated after years of being ignored that I tried "The Turpentine Cure." (Note: Turpentine should NOT be taken internally.) I was desperate and turpentine seemed radical, though mildly dangerous. But I remembered that in my grandmother's time, people took turpentine and sugar as a cure for all kinds of ailments. And my grandmother lived to be 103. So I figured that if the turpentine didn't kill me, the candida would. So what the Hell. Actually, "the turpentine cure" did offer relief, but that could have been a coincidence. I didn't try the cure more than a few times--the taste of turpentine was beyond disgusting.

One very important lesson I learned as a result of reading about and experimenting with the radical turpentine cure is that with any detoxification process, you will usually feel worse before you feel better. I'd never heard that before. With yeast overgrowth, the Candida cells die off and spend some time in your bloodstream and kidneys before they are eliminated from your body--a process that can make you feel very sick. I didn't like the sound of that. But then I remembered that anyone who has ever detoxed from drugs or alcohol will tell you how miserable it is to stick it out to the end because your body feels sick as it goes through the process of getting clean. And that made me wonder about how many times detoxification protocols, like methylation, are abandoned before they have had a chance to work. I'm pretty sure I've quit after only a day or two of starting detoxification because I began feeling a little sick.

Which leads me to my next question: If all of the above is true, how long do we stick with a detoxification protocol before we know for sure it is making a positive difference in our health. With severe CFS, when we are already feeling as if we are knocking on death's door, how do we get past the feeling worse part of detoxification when there are no guarantees; only the hope that we might begin to feel better. If alcoholics need help and support to detox, how can we be expected to do it by ourselves?

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I could better explain the detox process. What is detoxification? Why is it necessary to our health? How does it affect our bodies? What can we expect as we go through a detox protocol? How do we mentally prepare for "feeling worse before we feel better? When and how do we know when it is time to call it quits? Are some detox protocols easier to go through than others? Is detoxification worth it?

Last edited:

Wishful

I tried turpentine at one point too, just as an experiment, not based on anyone's theories. Tasted awful, had no effect on symptoms. I also read that balsam poplar buds were antiinflammatory, so I popped a couple of buds in my mouth. Interesting taste. Then it got hot. Then it got hotter. Luckily this was winter, and I had plenty of snow to cool my mouth down. Alas, it had no effect on my symptoms either.

Wolfcub

I finally became so frustrated after years of being ignored that I tried "The Turpentine Cure." (Note: Turpentine should NOT be taken internally.) I was desperate and turpentine seemed radical, though mildly dangerous. But I remembered that in my grandmother's time, people took turpentine and sugar as a cure for all kinds of ailments. And my grandmother lived to be 103. So I figured that if the turpentine didn't kill me, the candida would. So what the Hell. Actually, "the turpentine cure" did offer relief, but that could have been a coincidence. I didn't try the cure more than a few times--the taste of turpentine was beyond disgusting.

True "turpentine" is or should be a pine resin tincture. Pine resin is one of the most wonderful anti-microbials and antiseptics. Turpentine you buy from a paint shop is probably not the same.

Oh...another to consider is Myrrh Tincture. Wonderful stuff.

Re: detox symptoms. It might depend on sensing how you are going with some treatment. I think we can sense if it's good but detoxing, or if it's making us just worse.
Talking about Myrrh tincture, You can take it internally. I once did for something bothering me, and got diarrhea. The next day I started to feel so much better than before. It was worth it.
Strangely there was another time I took it and no gut issues at all. Just healing.

Last edited:

Wayne

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I could better explain the detox process. What is detoxification? Why is it necessary to our health? How does it affect our bodies? What can we expect as we go through a detox protocol? How do we mentally prepare for "feeling worse before we feel better? When and how do we know when it is time to call it quits? Are some detox protocols easier to go through than others? Is detoxification worth it?

Hi @AngelM,

Lots of questions, complex ones at that. I do regular coffee enemas, and use various other kinds of detox measures. I believe they're all important, as detoxification seems to be an ongoing struggle for me. I'm more recently putting more attention on monitoring blood sugar levels to assist in detoxification, which seems to help me with some new modified intermittent fasting protocols I'm trying. I'll never understand it all myself, just try to discover one more little clue now and then on how to do the best I can.

lafarfelue

Have you had a read of this thread about candida and biofilms etc? https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/candida-biofilms-theory-protocol.25472/

This one about candida and SIBO also has some interesting information in it https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/candida-sibo.41369/

I believe there are a number of threads about the detox pathways and how best to support the separate phases (which thing to do first, what supplements to take at what stage etc), which may be relevant to candida treatment too.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I've found that whenever I do heavy metal chelating with cilantro and chlorella, my candida issues settle down too. I have read that candida will actually bind to heavy metals in our system and that it is actually a protective function. Candida is bad for us but heavy metals are worse, has been the thinking.

Regarding detox, I think with ME/CFS people, we tend to be super sensitive and so as @lafarfelue said,
we need to take detoxing in stages.

I also think we need to take any detoxing agents in a micro-doses and not more than one type of agent at once. I like to buy things in capsules so I can open them up and take just a pinch of the substance. I've also used teas which can lower the amount ingested. Teas are also nice because you can sip them through the day spreading out the treatment.

Do everything gently and if there is a food form of a substance, for instance, take bananas for more potassium; cherry juice for melatonin---that type of thing, is in most cases best because it gives the body time to adjust. I just think that anything too jarring to our systems, is probably causing more damage. No pain; no gain is probably not a good thing for people with ME/CFS. Rome wasn't built in a day is a better philosophy for us.

Unfortunately, we tend to be so desperate to overcome this thing that we often overdo. My mom is always scolding me for this. :cool:

So if something is making you feel horribly ill, I would say back off some or take a break from it and try again the next day/week, etc but with a lower dose and then if it still makes you feel ill, it probably is working against you rather than for you at least for the time being. Maybe later after some other issue has been addressed in your system then it will work for you.

One more thought on the candida: I've been wanting to try Jarrow S. Boullardii with MOS because the candida is suppose to bind to the MOS and then pass out of the system without breaking open and releasing it's toxins like when it dies. It is suppose to work similarly to how cranberry or d-mannose works in the bladder for e coli bacteria. I haven't tried it yet though because I happen to be allergic to yeast and S. Boullardii is actually a yeast and not a bacteria. I just thought I'd mention that because it is suppose to mitigate some of the die off which happens if you take an anti-fungal instead.