• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can You Work?

Can You Work?

• Total voters
Figuring out how to work, how to support myself, is something that's on my mind constantly. I live alone, and don't have a partner, so I don't have anyone else to rely on.

I currently receive ESA, but as I can walk a little further & stand a little more, I don't think I'll qualify next time (even though those improvements in no way change my ability to work, stupid system :cautious:).

I've done a little permitted work in the past while on ESA; 4 hours a week which I just about managed. I need a sit-down job that's afternoons only, max 3 hours a day, 3 days a week (but not consecutive days), that also allows me to take days off when I'm not well enough. Oh, and pays well enough so I can survive financially on doing just 9/10 hours a week!

The fact that any day a brown envelope could come through the door for an assessment to decide I'm 'fit for work' makes me so anxious. I search every day for jobs that I could do health-wise so I can work out how to support myself before the DWP pulls the rug from under my feet, but there's never anything. It's pretty terrifying to be honest.

Hotch

Hotch
I too have a desk job and have been dragging myself to work all this year. My new GP recently noticed that my blood pressure was elevated and had me monitor it six times a day for 5 days which showed consistent elevation. Since being on a blood pressure med I have had a reduction in some of my symptoms - less tired during the day, less brain fog, less lightheadedness and wobbly legs, I even feel more optimistic!
Sometimes it is good to have a new GP look at the variety of symptoms (I didn't say anything about my previous doctor suggesting chronic fatigue syndrome).
Although I am managing better at work I still struggle with some things at home, just preparing a meal last night brought back the lightheadedness and wobbly legs. I'm just glad I'm getting periods now where I feel more 'normal'.

Hi Rose 1, I am so glad to hear the blood pressure meds are making a difference for you. I wonder if it could be worthwhile buying a blood pressure machine. This might shed some light on what is going on at the times you are lightheaded and have wobbly legs. Have you been to the immunologist yet? Here's hoping they can give you another step up in your quality of life! I will PM you. Cheers Hotch