• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

can you herx viral infections?

anniekim

i know you can experience herx with antibiotics when killing off bacteria, but sorry if this is a daft question but is there such a thing as viral toxins too? Can you herx whilst eradicating virus'? Many thanks in advance

SOC

i know you can experience herx with antibiotics when killing off bacteria, but sorry if this is a daft question but is there such a thing as viral toxins too? Can you herx whilst eradicating virus'? Many thanks in advance

Antivirals don't cause herx reactions because they don't kill viruses, they stop them from replicating. The infected cells have to die off naturally, so the rate of production of dead material is not as high as you can get with antibiotics (or more specifically, antibacterials). It's the excessive volume of bacterial debris that causes the herx effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herxheimer_reaction

Perhaps if you are taking something that increases your body's to kill virally infected cells, then maybe you could have enough cellular debris to cause a herx-type reaction...?

There has been some talk of antivirals used for chronic viral infections may result in IRIS-type reactions. That can make you feel seriously crappy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_reconstitution_inflammatory_syndrome

anniekim

Thanks Soc, much appreciated. I read a doctor talking about viral toxins which took me by surprise as I was only aware of bacterial debris. Your reply was very helpful