• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can the flu/cold interfere with autoimmune tests?

Dmitri

Last week I had an appointment with a neurologist who took standard blood tests as well as the paraneoplastic and GAD65 panels that are sent to the Mayo Clinic and ARUP. The routine tests were done on-site and I already got the results, still waiting on the antibody tests, including ANA which was 1:160 the last time it was tested.

The results showed elevated neutrophils and reduced lymphocytes, which isn't usual for me. I was also recovering from a recent flu/cold attack which I had for about a week. Worth noting is that I didn't have colds for almost two years and I recently started taking CBD oil, which suggests a connection. Could the atypical immune activity interfere with blood tests for antibodies and cause false negatives?