• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

can stress cause major crash?

Thought I was climbing up out of hell. Along comes some stress and boom...down. chills which lasts all day...eye twitches..light headedness. Just when I was having glimpses of my old self...am taking xanax at a low dose. On the one hand, I'm terrified to take more. But then if it gives me some refief...why not. Can deal with rehab if I ever get better. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Am also thinking about making an appt with Dr Rey. Anyone know how far out appt are.

AFCFS

Thought I was climbing up out of hell. Along comes some stress and boom...down. chills which lasts all day...eye twitches..light headedness. Just when I was having glimpses of my old self...am taking xanax at a low dose. On the one hand, I'm terrified to take more. But then if it gives me some refief...why not. Can deal with rehab if I ever get better. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Am also thinking about making an appt with Dr Rey. Anyone know how far out appt are.
Whatever works is what it takes. If you do well on xanax and taking it often, may want to try klonopin if your doc recommends, since it has a longer half-life. I would discuss the potential tolerance/withdrawal issues with your doc early on. I am not sure but it might be an easier road to be on these meds only occasionally, or perhaps could see how it goes not to be on them from time to time. I found magnesium to be helpful in calming the brain down, also while getting of the benzos. Again, good to ask the doc about - it is better to have a few things in your arsenal than a single gun approach.

- When filling out a recent intake form that asked what stressed me, I simply put "Life" - so understand where you might be coming from.

Afcfs
Thanks for the reply. I tried magnesium and it worked like a laxative..so I stopped. It's weird. I take .25 xanax in am and it usually calms me for the day. If I don't take it, I get shaky and heart palps. If I'm having a good day..I can sometimes skip a day. But that is maybe once every few weeks. My dr says my dose is so low that I shouldn't worry about addiction. But it feels like I am.

AFCFS

equestrian111

That is a low does, and if it works for the day that is even better. The magnesium can be a bowel buster. I found this to be the case with magnesium citrate, but not magnesium orotate, which I can ramp up on a bit without problems.

PNR2008

I have taken klonopin since I got sick in '88 and only raised it once. First .5m once a day and after about 12yrs took twice a day. Stress does a bad number on my brain and I feel shaky all day.

Prn2008
I will ask my Dr about klonopin. Seems like that's what most cfs take. Wonder why stress sets our bodies into such a downward spiral. Just everyday life stuff. I think stress might have been my triger for this illness. Plus some mold thrown in